Review-OEM Loryta IPC-T5442T-ZE Varifocal 4mp camera (Dahua)

WakeRider

n3wb
Reaction score
So I haven't perused the entire thread but does anyone have any recommended settings for these camera's vs factory. I don't really have time to sit down and play with them until the house is done (hopefully 2 months) but due to a dispute with a neighbor I went ahead and installed the camera's. While the factory settings may not be perfect it is atleast getting me by, but figured I would check in with others to see if there was anything out there for these camera's given how much people have been playing with them.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Bookmark the thread below about how to adjust settings to fix issues (if you haven't already):
Common issues with camera image | IP Cam Talk

Keep in mind that a lot of settings are location specific. I could give you a list of all of my settings, but if the area your camera is covering is different than mine (especially in terms of lighting) they can make things worse.

Two settings that often gets changed though are shutter speed and 3D noise reduction. Depending on the lighting in your location, the default shutter speed may be too slow (and 3D noise reduction too high) which can result in the image of an object in motion having blurry details when you pause video. This can make it hard to ID someone that you don't know. So definitely walk around in front of your cameras at night, play back the footage, stop on individual frames and see how you look.

WakeRider

n3wb
Reaction score
Bookmark the thread below about how to adjust settings to fix issues (if you haven't already):
Common issues with camera image | IP Cam Talk

Keep in mind that a lot of settings are location specific. I could give you a list of all of my settings, but if the area your camera is covering is different than mine (especially in terms of lighting) they can make things worse.

Two settings that often gets changed though are shutter speed and 3D noise reduction. Depending on the lighting in your location, the default shutter speed may be too slow (and 3D noise reduction too high) which can result in the image of an object in motion having blurry details when you pause video. This can make it hard to ID someone that you don't know. So definitely walk around in front of your cameras at night, play back the footage, stop on individual frames and see how you look.
Awesome that was exactly what I was looking for. Much appreciated!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I haven't perused the entire thread but does anyone have any recommended settings for these camera's vs factory. I don't really have time to sit down and play with them until the house is done (hopefully 2 months) but due to a dispute with a neighbor I went ahead and installed the camera's. While the factory settings may not be perfect it is atleast getting me by, but figured I would check in with others to see if there was anything out there for these camera's given how much people have been playing with them.
Shutter Speed / Exposure Tutorial

bertnl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I bought the dahua version .
Now I see there is an arrow on the camera with UP.
Why should that marking be interesting? The camera is IP67. Or is it just such that the initial image will be upright and not upside down?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You do need to have a reference for "which side is up" when installing the camera so that the video is physically oriented properly.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I bought the dahua version .
Now I see there is an arrow on the camera with UP.
Why should that marking be interesting? The camera is IP67. Or is it just such that the initial image will be upright and not upside down?
Good idea to bench test it first before mounting...

bertnl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You do need to have a reference for "which side is up" when installing the camera so that the video is physically oriented properly.
Bui why would upside down be important? All is sofwtare controlled?
@David L Ofcourse I do some bench testing and even burn-in testing for few days. I do not envy to mount and then to replace afetr vew days

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Also, access to the SD card and reset button might be important in some cases. The up arrow may be a bit of over thinking, but other people might complain if it wasn't there. In the grand scheme of things, is it all that important?

Reaction score
If you do not mount it right side up, then you have to change the flip settings in the firmware. Then you will also have to change the mirror setting in the firmware. OCD people hate this.

Also, for cams mounted south of the equator, if you mount them upside down, it could through the whole balance of the earth's rotation off axis and we will be spinning towards the sun.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you do not mount it right side up, then you have to change the flip settings in the firmware. Then you will also have to change the mirror setting in the firmware. OCD people hate this.

Also, for cams mounted south of the equator, if you mount them upside down, it could through the whole balance of the earth's rotation off axis and we will be spinning towards the sun.
So that is why we have had so many hurricanes and fires this year :)

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Call me weird but I care about right side up too, lol. Aside from having to flip the image, the IR will be either over or under the lens - not sure if that makes any difference at all. Years ago I installed some mini domes vertical instead of horizontal and they simply didn't aim where I wanted the lens unless it was upside down, so image flip was needed.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Call me weird but I care about right side up too, lol. Aside from having to flip the image, the IR will be either over or under the lens - not sure if that makes any difference at all. Years ago I installed some mini domes vertical instead of horizontal and they simply didn't aim where I wanted the lens unless it was upside down, so image flip was needed.
I guess, worse case, we could always lean our head over sideways to watch the video :)

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Raralith

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reviews y'all. I installed 8 PoE cameras around my home 6 years ago, and the sharpness of images has really improved through the years; it doesn't help that 5 of the dome cameras have really bad IR clouding. I purchased one of the T54442T-ZE models from Andy, will be doing some testing for the next few weeks, and upgrading the rest if I'm happy.

I did want to get some thoughts though on this version vs the T5442TM-AS-LED for my front porch camera: a) the camera's video feed is the path/walkway to the front door, and the front door itself (you see the back of their heads at the door), b) the camera is 10 feet away on a soffit, and c) is currently using a 3.6mm lens. I'm thinking of the T5442TM-AS-LED because 1) I don't need a variable focus and a 6mm lens would get a very clear and crisp picture within the very specific space this is pointing at, and 2) there is the option of the LED lights which is stronger and wider then my porch light (if we choose to use it). Hopefully this might be useful for other people too.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Using the LED model for the additional lighting would make sense in a situation like that, IMO. If you don't already run your porch light all night and you decide not to use the LED model for additional lighting, then it sounds like your porch area would be dark and night and a regular 5442 running IR might be the best.

Funkyduck

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I tested this camera a lot, with a lot of different settings.
Unfortuneatly I have to go back to my old camera, the Hikvision DS-2CD2385FWD-I
This because this camera makes better picture.
The Dahua in color is ghosting at night, even if I have a bit of light. (More than starlight ;-)
Schermafbeelding 2020-10-31 om 20.56.00.pngSchermafbeelding 2020-10-31 om 21.02.51.pngSchermafbeelding 2020-10-31 om 21.02.27.png

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I tested this camera a lot, with a lot of different settings.
Unfortuneatly I have to go back to my old camera, the Hikvision DS-2CD2385FWD-I
This because this camera makes better picture.
The Dahua in color is ghosting at night, even if I have a bit of light. (More than starlight ;-)
View attachment 74019View attachment 74021View attachment 74020
Mmm... very interesting Funkyduck. So you’re saying that after extensive testing, the Hikvision DS-2CD2385FWD-I is better than the T5442T-ZE? Is this with like-for-like conditions and settings? For example, both in black and white and both in colour with similar lighting? I see in your example, you have a lot of noise reduction in the Dahua which averages several frames and so may cause ghosting.

Comparing specs, the 8MP 1/2.5 Hikvision has much smaller sensor pixels and so should perform far worse than the Dahua after dark.

Funkyduck

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Mmm... very interesting Funkyduck. So you’re saying that after extensive testing, the Hikvision DS-2CD2385FWD-I is better than the T5442T-ZE? Is this with like-for-like conditions and settings? For example, both in black and white and both in colour with similar lighting? I see in your example, you have a lot of noise reduction in the Dahua which averages several frames and so may cause ghosting.

Comparing specs, the 8MP 1/2.5 Hikvision has much smaller sensor pixels and so should perform far worse than the Dahua after dark.
My goal was to have color at night. I did not succeed with the dahua.
So I have to fall back on IR (black and white)
When I do IR, the Hikvision is better with the 8MP camera than the 4MP Dahua. Much sharper video.

But you are right, the sensor of the Dahua should be better because of the 1/1.8 sensor.
So now, I think I will order and test the Hikvision DS-2CD2386G2-IU, which has also a 1/1.8 sensor, but also 8MP.

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My goal was to have color at night. I did not succeed with the dahua.
So I have to fall back on IR (black and white)
When I do IR, the Hikvision is better with the 8MP camera than the 4MP Dahua. Much sharper video.

But you are right, the sensor of the Dahua should be better because of the 1/1.8 sensor.
So now, I think I will order and test the Hikvision DS-2CD2386G2-IU, which has also a 1/1.8 sensor, but also 8MP.
Any chance you could post snapshots with IR to show the Hikvision is sharper than Dahua please? I’ll be surprised if it’s down to it being 8MP when it’s dark, but wouldn’t setting the Hik down to 4MP as a comparison test be worth worth doing?

I’ll also be interested to see the result of the 1/1.8 Hik - maybe I’ll find a review in the forum but having been pro Dahua for years, a comparison with Dahua would be key.