Review-OEM Loryta IPC-T5442T-ZE Varifocal 4mp camera (Dahua)

photogeek54

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've had my ipc-t5442t-ze-varifocal for some time now and recently moved to a pole about 8ft high near the street in hopes of having a record of vehicles and their plate numbers if needed. from this thread it seems others are doing this successfully. I don't need ANPR capabilities just a clean video and/or snapshot of cars as they pass. As much as I have tried varying all the parameters directly on the camera I can't even read the numbers off the plates even in daylight much less at night. The camera is zoomed in fully and vehicles are usually 50-75ft away. shutter speed is set to 4-8ms so motion blur is not the problem. There is just too much noise or compression artifacts to reliably make out numbers no matter what 3D NR setting or gain I have chosen. I also find that the snapshots I have the camera taking with SMD vehicle detection many times are taken too late or not at all. Has anyone got this working well? What settings have you used?

Attachments

Reaction score
The camera is zoomed in fully and vehicles are usually 50-75ft away
You will never get useable LPR from that cam at 50-75 feet. You need to zoom in way more than the cam can do.

The below pics are from the B5442E-Z4E which is a 8-32mm varifocal.
This first pic is at 55 feet and is at full zoom of 32mm:
INTS.20200719_200043674_1.jpg

This next one is at 75 feet at 27mm:
INTS.20200719_194053996_1.jpg

On edit: Check out the LPR forum.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@photogeek54 you need to fill the Fran with vehicle then adjust and ensure height, angle and distance to target are accommodated along with lighting and then adjust camera accordingly. As @samplenhold mentioned you won’t get what you need at that distance with the 5442 turret. You need a minimum of Z4 and potentially Z12 aria at of lens. B5442-Z4 or 5241-Z12 as example unless you want ANPR then 7442-Z4

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@photogeek54 you need to fill the Fran with vehicle then adjust and ensure height, angle and distance to target are accommodated along with lighting and then adjust camera accordingly. As @samplenhold mentioned you won’t get what you need at that distance with the 5442 turret. You need a minimum of Z4 and potentially Z12 aria at of lens. B5442-Z4 or 5241-Z12 as example unless you want ANPR then 7442-Z4
Just got my 5241-Z12E in less than a week (Fed-Ex this time instead of DHL), looking forward to it's install...Great price for a LPR thanks to Andy...
Thank you all for this recommendation...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You will never get useable LPR from that cam at 50-75 feet. You need to zoom in way more than the cam can do.

The below pics are from the B5442E-Z4E which is a 8-32mm varifocal.
This first pic is at 55 feet and is at full zoom of 32mm:
View attachment 69498

This next one is at 75 feet at 27mm:
View attachment 69499

On edit: Check out the LPR forum.
I looked at the 5442 but ended up going with the 5241 hoping to cap around 100 feet.

tron999

n3wb
Reaction score
Since this camera has built in audio, all the data is tranferred via the POE ethernet, right? I don't have to run a separate line for the audio?

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@tron999 as @looney2ns said, you won't regret moving away from Arlo's to these by any stretch of the imagination. Enjoy and reach out with any questions !

tron999

n3wb
Reaction score
thanks all! i am doing some research, there is a lot to learn. probably the worst part of my install will be running cat 6 through my house. i am in a TH so i don't have much area to cover.

photogeek54

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks @Wildcat_1 and @samplenhold and all, Looks like I would need more zoom for the plates but I also wanted my 5442 for general surveillance so I'll just have to be happy with what I got. Thanks for the feedback and photos.

ArnonZ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks @Wildcat_1 and @samplenhold and all, Looks like I would need more zoom for the plates but I also wanted my 5442 for general surveillance so I'll just have to be happy with what I got. Thanks for the feedback and photos.
And what you have is not that bad....

For next times, never look for a dual usage for a single camera. could be nice if it could work but normally it does not.
You define the purpose for each camera, check the right distance and zoom you need, buy a suitable cam for that purpose, choose the best location and do the settings for night, day low light and bright.
ALPR, surveillance, access, doorbells and others normally need different settings and models and you've better use multiple cams and rather than try the "all in one".
For LPR and surveillance together, the zoom is not the only problem. It takes different exposure, contrast and in general different setting.
Even if you had a cam that could do both well, you would normally like two units of it with different settings for each.
I wish it wasn't true, I wish that all you needed was a good general purpose cam and the right FOV that covers what you need but c'est la vie.