Review-SD4A425DB-HNY 1/2.8" CMOS 4MP 25x Starlight Auto-tracking MiniPTZ

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Did anyone ever compared all the different sensor size of the lens that's typically used for security cameras? Like physically how much bigger or smaller from 2.8 to 1.8 and 1.2 etc.... I'm curious to know the actual difference in size of the sensors that make them prohibitive to put 1.8 sensor into a SD4A425DB-HNY size mini ptz.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure it’s more a cost thing than a size thing between 1/1.8 and 1/2.8

That and model /price differentiation

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Is anyone else having an issue with your Substream bit rate not persisting? I keep changing it to 1024 and it will revert to 768.

xtropodx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No, tracking can only be initiated by an IVS rule in a preset.

We would recommend not using scan patrol. These things are only rated for so many cycles and too many continuous 24/7 scans and you can hit that limit in 2 years or so.

You are better off setting up spotter cams to point the PTZ to where the action is.
What does this means, specifically the limit? Like will it stop working or something?

looney2ns said:
Power
Power Supply : 12 VDC/2 A (± 10%)PoE (802.3at)
Power Consumption : Basic: 7WMax.: 17 W (IR light)
Can this be run just on PoE only?

How would one attach this to a square post (70mm wide) or a carport gutter?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What does this means, specifically the limit? Like will it stop working or something?

Can this be run just on PoE only?

How would one attach this to a square post (70mm wide) or a carport gutter?

Yep, after X number of "cycles" it basically becomes a fixed cam.

The camera can be ran by POE+ only.

Any number of compatible brackets would allow you to install it to a square post.

Last edited:

biosolid

n3wb
Reaction score

The camera can be ran by POE only.

Any number of compatible brackets would allow you to install it to a square post.
you can also run it on 12 VDC
Very easy to mount - here's a link for installation. Dahua Technology - Leading Video Surveillance Solution Provider with CCTV Products, IP Camera, PTZ, HDCVI products, NVR, Intelligent Building, Intelligent Transportation and Software - Dahua Technology
Andy sells all sorts of mounting accessories if you need them. Here's a video I found handy on mounting to a flat surface - not the same camera but mounts the same. Hope this helps

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I took his question as could he run it on POE+ only, but yes you can run it via POE+ or 12VDC.

xtropodx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah I much rather run PoE instead of cable + power.

I don't remember where the original post was. But how & why would this happen, & because software or hardware? Doesn't seem to make sense & I obviously don't get it

EDIT: yeah switch I have is for PoE+, several cameras already all PoE/PoE+ powered & still have 80w+ spare

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I much rather run PoE instead of cable + power.

I don't remember where the original post was. But how & why would this happen, & because software or hardware? Doesn't seem to make sense & I obviously don't get it
Just remember it is POE+ not POE.

It happens because at the end of the day these are budget PTZs. If you spend more than $10,000 then you can get an unlimited one LOL.

For most of us it isn't an issue. It is only those that run it on 5-7 second tours that it becomes an issue, and we have enough evidence on this site showing how that is a false sense of surveillance and will miss the action.

They have programmed it into the camera as they have determined that after X number of cycles, the likelihood of catastrophic failure exists. Kinda like how a timing belt for a car is scheduled to be replaced at X thousand miles, well same philosophy. You can keep running the car but the risk of failure exists.

The camera can still manual PTZ until it breaks at that point, it just won't autotrack.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I would have been fine with this being a 2MP and then it could have stayed same size!
Do we know that the 2.8 sensor in the d4a425db-hny is worse in low light than the 2.8 sensor in the 2MP starlights? The 1.8 sensor in the 5542s does much better than the 2.8 sensor in the 2MP starlights, even though the pixel size is the same. Logical projection from this says the 4MP 2.8 sensor "could" be a low light equivalent of the 2.8 2MP sensor. Has there been any side-by-side comparison posted? (I could do it myself if the PTZ wasn't still sitting in its box because of no time to get to it yet).

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Did anyone ever compared all the different sensor size of the lens that's typically used for security cameras? Like physically how much bigger or smaller from 2.8 to 1.8 and 1.2 etc....
I can give one comparison. The 2.8 sensors use a 12 mm lens mount (barrel outside diameter), and the 1.8 sensors use a 16 mm mount. I do know the 5442 spec sheet mistakenly says 12mm. I found this out when trying to change the lens in a 5442.

ryebread

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

The camera can be ran by POE+ only.

Damn I did not know that I just purchased this camera thought I could just plug it into my NVR.

ryebread

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Depending on your NVR it may power it.
It’s a nvr5216-16p-ei honestly I have no clue how to know if it does or not. Any idea? Specs don’t mention anything about Poe+

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It’s a nvr5216-16p-ei honestly I have no clue how to know if it does or not. Any idea? Specs don’t mention anything about Poe+
You are screwed!

J/K :)

nvr5216-16p-ei should have enough power for the Mini ptz.

On the Dahua NVR5216-16P-EI Specifications page it does mention this:

Power Supply
100–240 VAC, 47-63 Hz
Power Consumption
Total output of NVR is ≤ 10W (without HDD)
Total output power of PoE is 130W, the maximum output power of a single port is 25.5W

ryebread

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You are screwed!

J/K :)

nvr5216-16p-ei should have enough power for the Mini ptz.

On the Dahua NVR5216-16P-EI Specifications page it does mention this:

Power Supply
100–240 VAC, 47-63 Hz
Power Consumption
Total output of NVR is ≤ 10W (without HDD)
Total output power of PoE is 130W, the maximum output power of a single port is 25.5W
Yep you should be good unless you have 16 PTZs lol
It’ll work fine
lol thank you everyone!!