Review-SD4A425DB-HNY 1/2.8" CMOS 4MP 25x Starlight Auto-tracking MiniPTZ

Reaction score
View attachment 175461
Cell tower is approximately 12,800 ft, side of the building is around 3500, trees across the bottom at 1100, and the tree on the left side is at 360 feet away from the camera. This thing is impressive and the best part was finding it in the refurbished section
Is it normal to have purple color around the objects like what shown in this pic around the cell tower and tree branches?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is it normal to have purple color around the objects like what shown in this pic around the cell tower and tree branches?
It is chromatic aberration going on in some field of views that causes bright areas to appear purple or purple fringing on edges of objects and it gives that red/blue or green/purple color shifts you see here where there is a stark difference in color between the sky and the darker branches. Usually isn't seen if so much sky isn't visible.

Reaction score
It is chromatic aberration going on in some field of views that causes bright areas to appear purple or purple fringing on edges of objects and it gives that red/blue or green/purple color shifts you see here where there is a stark difference in color between the sky and the darker branches. Usually isn't seen if so much sky isn't visible.
Thank you, my camera does the same thing, i made so many changes to the camera seting but they would not goes away .

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
It probably won't really go away. Its an effect of the quality of the lens/coatings (or lack thereof) vs the cam. You'll get it even with normal camera lenses that are much better than what's in these cams. You can minimize it in some ways. Avoid views against the sky like that. Try zooming in to make the field of view a little more narrow if you can. Reduce saturation. Reduce contrast and sharpness. Maybe try setting the color style to soft. Need to balance all that against however it affects the rest of the image obviously and whether it's worth it.

Reaction score
Sounds like it is. I already pulled it down from that location and haven’t decided on where it’s going next. I don’t remember it looking like that, as stated, if it didn’t have so much sky in the view. I should really find a spot and get it back up

Reaction score
It probably won't really go away. Its an effect of the quality of the lens/coatings (or lack thereof) vs the cam. You'll get it even with normal camera lenses that are much better than what's in these cams. You can minimize it in some ways. Avoid views against the sky like that. Try zooming in to make the field of view a little more narrow if you can. Reduce saturation. Reduce contrast and sharpness. Maybe try setting the color style to soft. Need to balance all that against however it affects the rest of the image obviously and whether it's worth it.
Thank you for educate me about these lenses, I just got the camera yesterday and thought the camera was defected

Kitsap

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
SD4A425DB-HNY – AI Adjustments
I have installed two of these cameras. In the AI rule configuration section, I have two IVS rules established and enabled for each camera. One for Intrusion and one for Tripwire.

One camera covers a driveway. The event will trigger record when a person or automobile enters the driveway. This works well. But we have other intruders in the area, coyotes, cougar, bobcats, etc. and I would like to adjust the settings so the event will trigger record for these sizes of targets.

I have tried several combinations of adjustments to make this change but have not been successful. I do not understand the setting for tracking target size ratio. Also, there is a global sensitivity setting now at 7.

Attached is a screen snip of the rule configuration page.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

System Version:2.821.0000013.1.RBuild Date:2023-07-04
PTZ Version:V2.401.0000001.47.RHNDG_220906_42754

Screenshot 2024-02-25 135421.jpg

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
You are an unfortunate "victim" of the newer Dahua cameras being so smart that they are dumb and can't detect animals. The majority of the customer base wants detection of people and vehicles, and doesn't want to be bothered with other triggers. Capitalism in action, unfortunately. I believe I hold the position of chief complainer about this. More info here Detecting wildlife with Dahua cameras

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Gosh. More and more glad I let SecuritySpy do its own AI detection of animals, humans, and car motion. No messing about with what Dahua wants to detect and no fooling with IVS. Camera just supplies video and the app dies the rest.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So one of the issues we have seen with this camera is that it seems to have a soft focus at night. This is more of redundant for me and I use it to trigger other actions, so it wasn't as critical to me, but I am always trying to find ways to improve it.

While watching back some video last week, I noticed that during tracking I think the softness of focus is more of NR going overboard.

So for kicks I turned off NR at night and tried it at 15 and it made a difference. Now granted when it isn't tracking the image is a noisy mess, but I have other cameras to capture that field of view.

So for those that feel like the focus is a little soft, try dropping the NR way down.

NR at 42

miniPTZdog.jpg

NR at 15

miniPTZdogNR15.jpg

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Is there IR from other cameras or white light assisting in that scene?
Biggest issue I see with it, other than the under sized sensor, is weak IR

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is being assisted by coach lights on the house as well as another camera running in IR.

And yeah, I think most of us that understand not to chase MP would much rather see a 2MP on this camera.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yup.
As you know mine is working out fine for nighttime LPR duty given distances of only 30-40ft to capture area both ways. I’m able to run 1/500 with a teeny bit of help from the circa 1700 street light :rolleyes:
(*And very slow moving vehicles)

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is this a new cam? Does Andy carry it? Anyone tested it yet?
Probably a new cam as I don't see this on Andy's website or anywhere else. But people might be able to do a special order from Andy if they want one. I also prefer a 1/1.8 sensor 4 MP than a 1/2.8 sensor 2 MP combo on this mini ptz though.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Probably a new cam as I don't see this on Andy's website or anywhere else. But people might be able to do a special order from Andy if they want one. I also prefer a 1/1.8 sensor 4 MP than a 1/2.8 sensor 2 MP combo on this mini ptz though.
I think I would prefer that as well.