RevoTech POE VLC problem

coleys0

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all.

I am new to IP cameras, although I have just bought 5 Reolink which work perfectly and reluctantly purchased the RevoTech that being the cheapest and smallest something was telling me stay away and boy o boy do I wish I listened to my instincts. This Revotech I706 has to be the most user unfriendly camera in the world. I need help as I am trying to live-stream with it and after following many instructions and guides I am still having no luck.

So the camera is on the Poe network and has an ip address, I am able to login to the web interface to change settings and one of the items in the ui is a live preview of VLC in which I can see the camera working but absolutely no control options.

So I try to stream media in VLC using

rtsp:/admin:[Password]@192.168.0.72/mpeg4 or

rtsp:/192.168.0.72:8554/live0.264 or

rtsp:/admin:[mypassword]@nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn:8554/live0.265)

Revotech say to use rtsp:/username:password@IPaddress/mpeg4

However still no look and VLC comes back with an error

Your input can't be opened:

VLC is unable to open the MRL 'rtsp:/admin:BirdBox2022@192.168.0.72:8554/live0.265'.

The camera uses port 80 for http and port 8554 for rtsp and the video codec is H265

I am totally stumped any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you had joined IPCT and researched the Reolinks products BEFORE you purchased, you likely would have not bought them.....sorry, just being honest.

Anyway, re: the Revotech, here's some more URLs to try. Note that I used the normally default internal RTSP port of "554", not sure if it merits using "8554" in your URL except externally. Of course if you logged into the cam's webGUI and it already states that it's "8554" then of course, you'd use that.

NOTE: In all cases there's 2 "/" after "RTSP:", the forum software won't allow posting 2 consecutively! :idk:

Code:
rtsp:/username:password@192.168.0.72:554/live1.264
rtsp:/username:password@192.168.0.72:554/12
rtsp:/username:password@192.168.0.72:554/1/stream1
rtsp:/username:password@192.168.0.72:554/profile1
rtsp:/username:password@192.168.0.72:554/profile0

Last edited:

coleys0

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks I will try the URL's the cameras are exactly for Wildlife projects. I'm not a camera expert but I bought five different types of the reolinks for different purposes in all cases they were setup in two minutes and did exactly what they said on the tin and so I'm happy :)

BBell

n3wb
Reaction score
I was troubleshooting a similar issue for a cheap $35 Revotech pinhole POE 6688 (I706-2P) and blue iris wouldn't find the video until I put the Discovery/ONVIF port to 6688. That changed the Main stream to /profile0 and the sub to /profile1. Putting this here in case you or other folks are having the same issue.

Now if I could only figure out why the camera loses signal about three times an hour....

AndrewNorCal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Now if I could only figure out why the camera loses signal about three times an hour....
Did you ever figure this out? I just set up a Revotech i706-POE-HS04MP camera. Cheap, but seems to hang very frequently—every minute or two?—where the image won't move and also periodically gives a loss of signal message... not impressed so far...

Andrew

BBell

n3wb
Reaction score
Did you ever figure this out? I just set up a Revotech i706-POE-HS04MP camera. Cheap, but seems to hang very frequently—every minute or two?—where the image won't move and also periodically gives a loss of signal message... not impressed so far...

Andrew
You know, I don't recall what fixed it. In fact, I totally forgot about this post until I saw your alert. I've had this camera working just fine since I posted this. BI does show a yellow ! by the camera, but I've never been able to understand why as it seems to work just fine, better than my older Hikvision bullet cams. Maybe it was the cable? There aren't a lot of settings for the camera itself, so maybe start with a low res, low FPS and see if that helps.

AndrewNorCal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There aren't a lot of settings for the camera itself, so maybe start with a low res, low FPS and see if that helps.
Would you mind sharing your settings?

Here's what I have:
  • substream set to the lowest resolution (352x288), with 15FPS, quality set to "General" (middle quality), max bit set to 512.
  • main stream set to a mid-resolution (not highest) of 1920x1080, also 15 FPS, with quality set to "Best", max bit set to 3072.
All alarms, email, FTP, cloud, recording are all set to off.

With all that, the image still locks up and loses signal frequently.

Thanks!
Andrew

AndrewNorCal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
See attached.
Thanks. I turned off everything that I didn't need . . . image capture, alarms, FTP, recording, audio. I also have the sub stream set to the lowest resolution and the main stream set to only 10 FPS (and one step down in resolution) and it's still losing signal once or twice every minute.

I used Revotech's suggested VMS software (looks like a DVR interface) and the camera appears to act perfectly using that. The image will hang in BI but at the same instant, it'll be continuing live in the VMS program.

It's just weird. It seems some type of interface/communication issue.

I'll note that the /Profile0 (main) and /Profile1 (sub) alternative streams have a horizontally compressed aspect ratio, so I've been sticking with Stream1 and Stream2.

Andrew

BBell

n3wb
Reaction score
I do remember there was something funky about the iFrame interval with the camera too. I remember you couldn't change it on the camera, so maybe you had to hit a specific frame rate for it to work right? I also use /profile0 and /profile1 for main and sub.

AndrewNorCal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On this Revotech camera I have (just got it in the last few weeks), it's has an iFrame setting, the default is 4 seconds. I changed it to 1 second some days ago, but that doesn't fix the problem. (This camera seems to have all the settings I've seen on, say, Dahua cameras, for instance.)

Does your profile0 stream seem to be squished horizontally?

This is really stumping me.

Andrew

BBell

n3wb
Reaction score
No squishing, video looks fine on my end. I did notice that in the General tab for the BI camera settings, the preview image would go blank on and off. IIRC, I think this was because the iframe refresh was too long (.25 or 4s) and BI would time out... I'm guessing that's what caused my yellow !s. But it doesn't impact the recording or viewing of the streams. I'm also using direct to disk recording which might help bypass the iframe issue. I also didn't mess much with the VMS software. I think I only did it for the initial IP address setup, but that was about it.

AndrewNorCal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. I had already set the iFrame to the minimum which is 1 second. (You are offered 1-30 seconds.) The signal is still being dropped once every minute or two.

One thing that seems to at least help is setting the BI "Time Out Period" for "Detect Loss of Signal" to a very short time instead of the default 30 seconds. I set it to 2 seconds and now, instead of it sitting there with no video for 30 seconds, it goes 2 seconds then somehow BI resets the connection so I get live video again. Probably actually useful now for my application, but still, it shouldn't be dropping all the time like it is. (And knowing my luck, it'll be resetting just as the bad guy runs out our door!)

BTW, Revotech provides two programs. One is a utility ("Tool") and another (VMS) is a DVR-style program. You probably would have done any settings using the utility or using a browser like I did.

Oh, and Revotech seems to have decent customer service. I emailed them and they replied, then I emailed them with more information and they emailed back a second time asking for screenshots of BI settings. Maybe I'll get to the bottom of this. If I do, I'll share that here.

Andrew

AndrewNorCal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For anyone reading later, so far, I've had success with the Revotech i706-POE-HS04MP camera and Blue Iris after I changed the codec from the default of H.265 to H.264. Since then, the camera has not dropped the signal. Finally. What a pain that was!

Andrew

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks I will try the URL's the cameras are exactly for Wildlife projects. I'm not a camera expert but I bought five different types of the reolinks for different purposes in all cases they were setup in two minutes and did exactly what they said on the tin and so I'm happy :)
It's been over a year but I'm curious: Did any of the URL's I suggested in post #2 let the Revotec work for you?