RG59 Heretic from PA

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not to pile on but,

This is kind of annoying. You come here for advice, yet reject it. Sure the stream of consciousness, incoherent posts from you have a sort of charming quality, But if you won't listen, why are you here?
Take a look at this pic from @bigredfish post 21 Video Quality . . He uses CVI. This could be you!

But I doubt you will listen.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
@Timothy Wright

If you choose to go with Dahua HDCVI cams, you'll need a Dahua DVR or XVR. They won't likely play well with your rebranded HiK recorder.

Shop the Dahua International site for cameras, the US site has very limited offerings.
HDCVI Cameras
You'll note 5MP Starlights as well as others. So far however, the 2MP Starlights outperform.

Nothing wrong with IP cameras, I have 8 of them, but just a gut feeling but you may be a perfect candidate for an Dahua HDCVI system.;)

As far as purchasing, you wont buy direct from either Dahua or HiK. They dont sell or want to service end users. The box systems you get at Costco etc are mostly junk with a few rare exceptions.

For Dahua, contact our fellow member and Dahua distributor Andy @EMPIRETECANDY and get them direct from the source.

Reaction score
Timothy: Your screen grab of 12 cameras is interesting. But I can't figure out what it is you are trying to achieve with each location.

It might be beneficial for you to write down what your goal is for each location. Like are you just wanting an overall view of the yard? Do you want an alert if something enters the area. Do you want an alert if something is removed? Are you expecting to be able to identify someone's face? Do you want/need night time performance or just in daytime? What is the visual light in this area at night? Could you put an external IR emitter up? Do you want to identify license plates?

So for each camera position, the mission is probably quite different, which would mean getting the appropriate camera for that position. But you probably already know that. Most on this forum like the Dahuas and they can be had at a good, fair price from Andy, just as bigredfish stated. That is what I have done. Bought two from Andy, did some testing. Revised my plan, bought two more and did more testing. Revised my plan again. I went with BlueIris and built a PC just for it.

I currently have ten cameras running, with seven of them being cheap Wifi cameras that I had purchased before I stumbled upon this forum. I will replace most of those as I refine my system. Most of my problem is that I still cannot define the mission for a few of the positions, and I am limited on running Cat5e in places, partially due to the WAF. I am working this whole project in phases so that I do not get overwhelmed and can pay for it a little at a time.

If you can't/don't want to replace your existing coax, there are converters. I do not know how well they perform or their cost for the PoE ones. Here is a link to one I found doing a quick search:
HIGHWIRE POWERSTAR - Ethernet and POE power over RG59 video coax

Can you return the stuff you bought now or not? If that is not an option, then it is not clear to me what you are asking of this forum.