Ring alarm system still considered a reliable solution?

Adamsdaddy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Our Ring alarm has been in use since December. Can't seem to get the wife to arm it (or lock the front/back doors or lock her car) but that's not a Ring problem.
It loses the connection every so often but I've not had it lose connection to wifi and cellular at the same time. I like having it. Once I followed the directions - instead of my own idea - on installing the motion detectors - no false alarms. The app on my iPhone is very stable. I also like the alerts that come in from other Ring owners though they sometimes more entertaining than useful.

I'd buy it again.

Reaction score
That seems pretty reasonable for including cellular monitoring. I have several neighbors who still pay for copper line telephone monthly just because their wired alarm system will not work without it, cannot dial out to police etc without a hard line connected and not compatible with VOIP as far as I know or concerned about internet outage if it were compatible.

Unfortunately in certain sections of my neighborhood we have very poor to no cell reception because of hills and woods. My cell phone often does not work for calls or text so unless there was a reasonably priced way to boost the cell signal (not reliant on internet) then that fail over would not work for me.

I just googled and Costco has a Ring 10 pc package for $239 & Amazon has a 14 pc kit + 3rd gen Echo dot for $329. Not sure if either are a "great" deal or not but may try one out or wait for a better deal.

Amazon Ring 14 pc + Echo

Costco Ring 10 pc Kit

It would be great if you could somehow tie this into camera I/Os but I don't think it is possible...plus most of my cameras are 5231s which do not have I/Os.
Get your neighbours to talk to any decent Security installer in their area. There are a plethora of 3rd party IP and cellular monitoring modules that capture from an old style dialler, convert to an IP or cellular signal and forward to a monitoring company. Usually faster than plain old copper line dialling.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.