RING Doorbell WiFi range

Danny514

n3wb
Reaction score
So, I'm not a big believer in all the RING products but my sister bought the RING2 doorbell for my mom, (who is 82 and will never remember what to do with it on the smart phone she bought her last year that she can hardly use). I have been volunteered the tech support as usual. Well, I hooked it up, finally got it to connect to the Wifi router and...it's crap. The connection that is. The front door is literally no more than maybe five feet away from the room the router sits in and still has issues trying to access and keep the signal. The wall between the office and the front door is standard construction wood and vinyl siding.
It is a new AT&T Wifi router \ AP with sustained 30-40Mbps. I get a signal fine on my phone there and further in the house, yet the RING doorbell cannot stay connected.

This means ring the bell and maybe it sends the message to her phone but more often than not the little light on the bell just spins and either the phone app does nothing as it does not get the notice or it shows the pop up message then when clicked it goes to a gray blurr with a spinning icon then eventually closes.

If you try to ring the doorbell again while this is going on nothing happens.

So IMO this makes it totally useless when this happens at least 50% of the time.

Also had to turn off the separate motion sensing trigger...Every car passing would trigger it even when set on the short range...but then it is not fast enough to catch anything. So she would get a motion notice and a video of nothing would pop up because the car had passed the narrow line of site view before the dumb doorbell could start recording the motion it detected. I could not find any settings for pre-record.

Any thoughts on how to make this work properly or really be anything more than just an annoyance for her since I cannot send it back?
I got the same problem my router is not far from ring and I got realy strong wifi connection in front of my door where ring is set up, I literally have full bars on my wifi connection and ring shows up slow and weak connection, there is nothing to do the wifi connection on ring sucks. REALY BAD REALY WEAK, I regret buying it. everytime I try to connect for live view with my phone it literaly takes over 1 minute to connect and decides to connect which is rare

cepler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Use 2.4 GHz for the Ring as it will penetrate the wall better than 5 GHz. (If your Ring supports 5GHz). Make an SSID that only runs on 2.4 GHz and have it connect to that. That’s usually the issue if you’re seeing low signal. If you want faster access to the video feed get the Rapid Ring app, it’s much faster. If your doorbell video is blurry, exchange it, likely had focus dislodged in shipping. Or you could tear it down and adjust the focus.