Ring network data

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Found this and thought it was interesting...

...however what I would like to do is capture the video myself and terminate the subscription service.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. Very helpful for the doorbell. I would love to see what is sent over the Internet, for the Ring Alarm system. Hesitating on buying one until more info is known about network requirements, especially the Internet traffic portion.
What do you think the alarm system is sending that could possibly cause any problems? Please.

Reaction score
What do you think the alarm system is sending that could possibly cause any problems? Please.
I'm just curious what sort of ports/ip's the Ring alarm communicates over. I have my system very well locked down when it comes to outside bound traffic, and incoming from the Internet. I'm no networking guru, but with all that's going on, anything I can find out about 'backdoors', etc. helps.

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have an original Ring doorbell and at first it seemed interesting, but the design is flawed. It sends video clips to your phone, which is a dumb idea because mobile data rates are too slow for that, at least for me.

One network security concern was that the device can be stolen or removed from your door and hacked, and it obviously contains your network password.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm just curious what sort of ports/ip's the Ring alarm communicates over. I have my system very well locked down when it comes to outside bound traffic, and incoming from the Internet. I'm no networking guru, but with all that's going on, anything I can find out about 'backdoors', etc. helps.
Ring alarm does not open any ports. If you are paranoid, simply connect it to a separate vlan. If your dont have that function, connect via wifi to your guest network. Problem solved.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
One network security concern was that the device can be stolen or removed from your door and hacked, and it obviously contains your network password.
Yes, someone is going to steal the doorbell so that they can hack it, then get your wifi password (because these thieves are super hackers) then come back and steal your data? really? no.
This paranoia can easily be put to rest by connecting your ring to your guest network.

truglo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Would be nice to be able to take a ring offline and integrate with BI though, which might be possible if the video is not encrypted?

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
From what I have read the video and communication is not encrypted.