rj45 soffet holes how big have you used for waterproof connector?

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
Currently preparing for camera install but dont have the cams yet.

Please does a 20mm soffet hole work for the waterproof rj45 connector or do I need 25mm?

I have drilled all 20mm holes but i see the rj45 Hikvision connector might be 19mm. e.g. a bit tight.

What are your methods for drilling out when the cable already there & not to loose it up in soffet?
Need a way of pushing up into soffet and recovering.

Wire tends to turn and twist with the drill, string runs the risk of snapping & loosing cable in the soffet.

Should I be drilling a 25mm hole?

Ideally I dont want to use a junction box as they contribute more bulk to the unit.

Thank you for your thoughts.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You do realize that you're asking us the size to drill in your house for something that we cannot see and that even you're not sure of....my best suggestion is that YOU measure it and decide! Measure twice and drill once. :headbang:

The one with the cable already there? I'd forget my worry about "bulk" at least for that one and install a box....heck, I would have done boxes at ALL of 'em and drill only a tiny 3/8" ( 10 mm) hole for the cable but it's your house, your soffits so certainly it's your call.

Last edited:

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You do realize that you're asking us the size to drill in your house for something that we cannot see and that even you're not sure of....my best suggestion is that YOU measure it and decide! Measure twice and drill once. :headbang:

The one with the cable already there? I'd forget my worry about "bulk" at least for that one and install a box....heck, I would have done boxes at ALL of 'em and drill only a tiny 3/8" ( 10 mm) hole for the cable but it's your house, your soffits so certainly it's your call.
Hey mate read the post again as you've clearly got the wrong end of the stick as to what i'm asking.

CAPS even - interesting.

I was asking for people who had used the waterproof rj45 connector what hole size they recommended.

Hopefully i'll get some mre useful responses.
cheers

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The problem is that there is no real standard for a waterproof RJ connector. Each manufacturer uses their own implementation, some the same, some not.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey mate read the post again as you've clearly got the wrong end of the stick as to what i'm asking.

CAPS even - interesting.

I was asking for people who had used the waterproof rj45 connector what hole size they recommended.

Hopefully i'll get some mre useful responses.
cheers
No, I don't have the wrong end of the stick...you're the one drilling holes for something you don't have yet and thinks that there's only one size.
IMO, it's best to wait until the cams arrive, measure then drill, especially if the bit used is a spade/paddle bit and is NOT easily enlarged..but that's just me...please do whatever lifts your skirt.....mate.

I hope that response was 'useful' to you.

Last edited:

watchful_ip

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
For Hikvision I personally used a 25mm spade bit in my soffits. It's not just the RJ45 waterproof connector in my case but usually a few connector block type leads for speakers or alarm also in addition to the DC connection lead.

My cable access kit has been worth it's wait in gold over the years.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
If I have to deal with a few other wires following the RJ45 waterproof connector, I usually wiggle those wires in without causing collateral damage. I think smaller the hole the better. Its easy to fill in if need be.

For Hikvision I personally used a 25mm spade bit in my soffits. It's not just the RJ45 waterproof connector in my case but usually a few connector block type leads for speakers or alarm also in addition to the DC connection lead.

watchful_ip

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Changed an R6 camera this week for an 8K AcuSense. Getting the cables/connectors out of the 25mm soffit hole was a pain and had to be done in the correct order.

I really wouldn't have wanted to try that with a 20mm hole (if it was even possible) and I don't think it makes much difference to my soffit but each to their own :)

This is assuming you are mounting a camera over the hole anyway of course.

Last edited:

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The problem is that there is no real standard for a waterproof RJ connector. Each manufacturer uses their own implementation, some the same, some not.
yeah but ive posted this under the hikvision camera section and so I was more concerned with the hikvision rj45 waterproof connector.

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

thank you this was a useful post.
yeah I suspected I needed a 25mm hole.

the reason I dont have the cams is its a new home and its down the order of priorities but need to run cables to close in soffets.

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Changed an R6 camera this week for an 8K AcuSense. Getting the cables/connectors out of the 25mm soffit hole was a pain and had to be done in the correct order.

I really wouldn't have wanted to try that with a 20mm hole (if it was even possible) and I don't think it makes much difference to my soffit but each to their own :)

This is assuming you are mounting a camera over the hole anyway of course.
thanks for useful post - yeah camera over the soffet hole for sure, i'm not much of a fan of exposed cable runs.
thank you.

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
One thing that sort of worked in the past enlargening holes with cables i'll share......

• attach a thin wire to the rj45 strippped wires, loop the wire twist rj45 wires around.
  • tape the joints with electrical tape each end then the middle
-push the cable rj45 up into the soffet left with wire
-i use a hole saw- thread the wire beside the small alignment drill bit & down through the holesaw hole and out the hole in the holesaw
- if the wire is small enough it rotates in the holesaw as the drill is turning
-theres a bit of twisting with the cable at times
-I was able to drill out & recover the rj45 from the soffet

Its a bit risky for sure.

Was curious if others had a better method hence asking.

The thickness of wire is a personal call between drill bit likely to cut it & wire rotating so doesnt twist the rj45

watchful_ip

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
thanks for useful post - yeah camera over the soffet hole for sure, i'm not much of a fan of exposed cable runs.
thank you.
No me either - it's why I spent an unpleasant couple of hours hooking through a new UTP cable through a soffit through a tight crampt fibreglass infested loft (on my back on some boards to reach otherwise inaccessible spaces), out through a soffit the other side of the house. A lot of hassle but a much better result.