Round Peg, Square Hole - Mounting Question

abso

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all, I've been cruising this site for awhile and its been very helpful. I've landed on a few LaView cameras that I got on sale (4 bullets, 2 domes). I had a question regarding mounting though.

My house was prewired for security. The problem is, the ethernet is pulled through rectangular junction boxes. As far as I can tell, the cameras use circular mounts (LaView Accessories Junction Box, LaView Accessories Junction Box).

Pics of gray boxes that contain the ethernet:
What are my options here? Since this is in the Seattle area, it definitely needs to be weatherproof.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
How much larger is the mount than the box? I'm thinking you can drill out that square plate, run the ethernet cable thru it and put the plate back and connect the circular LAView box over it. Another option may be to see if you can drill holes in the LAView mount to match that electric box. Those boxes are pretty cheap at a Lowes or Home Depot. You could pick one up to use for the dimensions, drill the LAView mount and get it exact so when you go to install at the soffit, you are all set.

abso

n3wb
Reaction score
Dome cam mount: Dome cam mount on junction cover box: Bullet cam on junction box cover: Bullet cam mount on actual junction box:
I realized the dome camera mounts can fit directly over the junction box cover - it looks rather odd, but the screw holes line up. Now I'm just a bit perplexed with what I should do with the bullet cameras.

Reaction score
Perhaps use about 8/32 screws and with nuts, bolt to cover plate after drilling the appropriate holes. Attach the cover plate and voila.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Maybe a cover plate for a 4x4 grey pvc box. The screw holes are in the corners and you may be able to screw the cover plate into the soffit.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd scrap that white dome cam box and drill holes in the that junction box cover and use that seeing as thought the bullet camera holes will fit. The one thing I would do if you chose to do the latter, I would get a spare and drill that so that if one day you move, you have the original you can put back when you remove the cams.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'd buy some PVC Type FS box covers from Home Depot like these, drill hole in middle with stepped bit (Unibit), mount the white camera box of choice to it then screw this cover right to the wood using the 4 holes at corners as provided in this blank cover, paint to suit.

It's 4.6" square, should cover those sloppy saw slots, too.

EDIT: use SS screws, not cadmium plated

carlon-covers-e9802cn-car-64_1000.jpg

Last edited: