Router as NVR? What's best for viewing live stream?

p-v-n

n3wb
Reaction score
[first post]

Hi!

I recently got couple of DS-2CD2032-I cameras, and more are on the way. It was nice to discover that these cameras support direct-to-NAS recording, without having anything else being involved.
I can attach an external HDD to my router, configure it to be a NAS, and configure each camera to record to it. This way I don't even need a dedicated NVR and I can run iVMS-4200 to view recorded videos on my PC. Everything is good so far, but I also want to have some sort of dedicated monitor strategically placed somewhere in the house to display live stream 24/7.
I was thinking of getting some Android tablet, attach it to the wall and run an iVMS-4500 on it. But this is where I got stuck, because there are so many unknowns right now.
For example, I'd like to use some USB Ethernet adapter (so I don't consume any WiFi bandwidth, even if it's enough for 6-7 1080p video streams), but I don't know whether it will work with Android table in the first place. Also, I'm not sure if I can use an OTG cable with additional power input, so I can still have this tablet on AC power.
I could, of course, either buy a dedicated NVR or a mini-PC to use as NVR, but I'd like to keep the cost down as much as possible.
Any of you faced similar challenges?

Ultimately, I'd like to be able to do the following:

1. Record each camera using motion detection (possibly be able to trigger more than one camera if one detected motion, but that's only nice to have, not really a deal breaker).
2. Setup a dedicated monitor to display live stream 24/7.
3. Watch live stream and recordings from my PC and android phone (local only is fine as I have VPN setup on my router and phone).

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!