Running as a windows service ? has odd effect on my NAS Drive ? B.i 5

Ajpepe72

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Blue iris backs up to a Nas drive on my network, however I have recently changed the power options of my pc and nas so that they auto restart after a power cut, so its just the software I need to autostart now which I assume is where I need to click the 'Run as a windows service' box ?
However, when I do this and restart the program the clip storage info in the status tab has a question mark next to where normally it says the used and remaining storage capacity ?

Any ideas ?
thanks

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
If you are running an NTFS file system on your NAS, make sure that whatever service account you have running the BI service is listed in the file permissions.

Ajpepe72

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I will have to look into that. It’s a synology ds115j nas and in the storage manager tab it says file system is ext4 ?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Your NAS ,BI PC, Router and POE switches should be on UPS.

Have you successfully run BI as a Service and the NAS ? if not then the BI service must be run as a user that is defined in the NAS.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
ext4 is a Linux file system from what I recall. I'm not sure but I didn't think windows supported it natively. 2 questions then - 1.) do you have the ability to re-format as NTFS and 2.) do you have any other mac or linux using this NAS?

To me it sounds like it's a permissions thing. I agree with @SouthernYankee

Ajpepe72

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The Nas is purely for my camera footage so no mac or Linux using it. I will have a look and see if the file system can be changed.
thanks

Ajpepe72

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
cant see any option to change the file system. in the nas config page I have an tab for users but not sure how I would configure this to allow the blue iris service. b.i saves to the nas fine when not run as a service.

pmcross

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
cant see any option to change the file system. in the nas config page I have an tab for users but not sure how I would configure this to allow the blue iris service. b.i saves to the nas fine when not run as a service.
You just need to create a user on the Synology to match how you log into the PC running BI. I.e. the username and password needs to match what the PC is set to. Then grant full permissions to the share for the account on the Synology. Once this is done change BI to run as a service and change the BI service to run as the user. You will need to also enter the password in for the service before you hit apply. Then restart the service. I hope that this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The nas username and password need to match the BI service username and password. Do not use the default windows username and password for the service.