Running cable through the yard?

Tracch

n3wb
Reaction score
Greetings,

Did some searching but didn't find any exact answers. Want to add a couple of more cameras this spring and spent sometime attempting to run wire through the house. All options I can attempt have failed but I do have a clear run around the house on the outside. I wanted to ask about running cable around the home under the ground. More specifically in my area they have been running google fiber to houses with a unique looking tool. They just create a thin run to the house and pushed the cable in with this half moon shovel.

Here is the shovel
http://imgur.com/HDCBbnU

I just purchased a lawn edging shovel that is roughly 4-5 inches deep like the one pictured in an attempt to follow they way they did. Does anyone have experience running cable this way or have a better method? I understand I will need to purchase cable specifically for outdoor/buried use.

Thanks!

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Greetings,

Did some searching but didn't find any exact answers. Want to add a couple of more cameras this spring and spent sometime attempting to run wire through the house. All options I can attempt have failed but I do have a clear run around the house on the outside. I wanted to ask about running cable around the home under the ground. More specifically in my area they have been running google fiber to houses with a unique looking tool. They just create a thin run to the house and pushed the cable in with this half moon shovel.

Here is the shovel
http://imgur.com/HDCBbnU

I just purchased a lawn edging shovel that is roughly 4-5 inches deep like the one pictured in an attempt to follow they way they did. Does anyone have experience running cable this way or have a better method? I understand I will need to purchase cable specifically for outdoor/buried use.

Thanks!
When I've done this with low voltage cable or an invisible dog fence I just use a normal garden edger with a 9" - 11" blade. If the ground isn't rock hard or rain is expected it will pretty much close up on itself within a week. If not you can always drop some top soil in when your done. Those hand tools are rough if you are going any distance or your ground is hard.

Also here is a link to some direct burial cable. I have used this in the past however never buried it directly, i pulled through conduit, great stuff, more rigid and solid then standard in-wall cable.
http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12727

26268_2000x2000.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SSNapier

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That shovel is referred to by cable guys as a "womper" and it is meant for extremely shallow installation of direct burial cable. This really only works in areas where winter or freezing temps are not an issue. For places that have all 4 seasons, I would strongly suggest either mounting directly to the house (above the average snow line) or burying it no less than 8 inches down. The use of PVC conduit (schedule 40) will help prevent critters from chewing on your cable.

Sparky

n3wb
Reaction score
Agree with SSNapier as even though the time and work involved to lay conduit is more the long term benefits are
* Less likely to get cable damage either by pests or mechanical means
* Done properly can upgrade/add cabling easier next time

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When laying cable underground I recommend the following.

Get a trencher. I did a 15m (50ft) trench to 600mm (24") with a post hole digger and shovel and it was hard yakka. I only did it because my local hire place didnt have a trencher available at the time.
Lay bigger conduit than you need. Go with at least 32mm (1.25") conduit.
Use sweeps instead of 90 degree bends.
Run an additional conduit with nothing but a pull wire in it.
Run more cables than you need, even if you dont have anything to hook them up to at present.
Lay warning tape to stop morons digging up your cable.

The biggest expenses on an underground burial job will be trencher hire, and your time. Everything else is cheap by comparison so it pays to future proof your setup by running extra cable and conduit.

fmflex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi SyconciousAu

Don't you have Dingo operators around where you are? I have a local Dingo operator who I've used for various things over the years and he comes out and trenches with either a 150mm or 350mm trencher depending on what I need done, lets you lay your services then back fills the trench for you. All for a minimum rate of $200 for 4 hours plus $50ph for each additional hour. I've always planned what I'm doing and never had to pay him for more than the initial 4 hours.

Beats digging by hand. :)

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi SyconciousAu

Don't you have Dingo operators around where you are? I have a local Dingo operator who I've used for various things over the years and he comes out and trenches with either a 150mm or 350mm trencher depending on what I need done, lets you lay your services then back fills the trench for you. All for a minimum rate of $200 for 4 hours plus $50ph for each additional hour. I've always planned what I'm doing and never had to pay him for more than the initial 4 hours.

Beats digging by hand. :)
I hadn't even considered getting a guy in with a Dingo. If you can get a dingo and an operator for 4hrs for $200 thats competitive with the hire rate for the trencher.

Edit: Did a bit of a look around and $400 for the first 4 hours seems to be the going rate in Sydney.

Last edited by a moderator:

fmflex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I hadn't even considered getting a guy in with a Dingo. If you can get a dingo and an operator for 4hrs for $200 thats competitive with the hire rate for the trencher.

Edit: Did a bit of a look around and $400 for the first 4 hours seems to be the going rate in Sydney.
Ah fair enough, I'm south of the border in Melbourne. Everything does seem to cost more up there.

SSNapier

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
All I can picture when you talking about a Dingo digging is this, and that would be truly hilarious in your backyard:

Dingos-digging-out-rabbit-hole.jpg

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
All I can picture when you talking about a Dingo digging is this, and that would be truly hilarious in your backyard:

View attachment 7618
The operator keeps them on the leash so they don't just go digging random holes, or start chasing the Kangaroo around the back yard. They are pretty effective diggers.

Reaction score
Do you know what womper is really called? Tried Google to purchase one. No luck. Womper shovel does not exist! I know it does because it is on my tool list. Thanks in advance for your help.

lowpro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do you know what womper is really called? Tried Google to purchase one. No luck. Womper shovel does not exist! I know it does because it is on my tool list. Thanks in advance for your help.
Look for it under "Whomper"

23399.jpg