Running Ethernet Cables

bigeye

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
While I have wired ethernet in my house I'm going to have to run some additional cables for some of my cameras. I don't net know whether I'll be able to hide those cables in the walls...

Assuming that I am not able to hide the cables I'll need to run some externally and in some areas vertically down exposed brickwork. Can someone point me in the direction of good options for camouflaging and protecting cables in that situation? I'd prefer to avoid running conspicuous trunking down the walls If I can...

Regards,
Dave

BigFoot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Dave - on the outside of my home I'm running cables in cable saddles - small plastic tabs screwed to the wall that the cables pass through, held in place by a zip tie

This way any future runs can go the same way simply by carefully cutting off the zip tie, running the additional cable the same way then adding a new zip tie once the additional cable has been run

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Be sure to use solid copper, outdoor-rated CAT-5e or 6 cable due to UV, ozone and water. Most common has black jacket.
Make your horizontal runs high and close to soffit or even backside of fascia to help protect them and hide them, this will allow shorter vertical runs so they'll be less obvious and better hidden.

Use the single-cable cable clips, they're UV-protected. Drill mortar joints with 1/4" masonry bit, install appropriate plastic anchor, replace the screw that's in the cable clips with the ones supplied with the plastic anchor and attach Ethernet cable. Don't cinch down until you pull cable tight. Always work toward one direction, from source to cam or vice-versa, makes no diff...just keeps cable from sagging.

clips.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
If you want it hidden/camouflaged then less is more and the above will be best. But if you need it protected as well, then some type of conduit will be better. You can generally paint it and may be able to blend it with the brick color to make it look better.

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you want it hidden/camouflaged then less is more and the above will be best. But if you need it protected as well, then some type of conduit will be better. You can generally paint it and may be able to blend it with the brick color to make it look better.
This is what I'm doing for two cameras that will require running cables outdoors. I'm currently in the process of priming and painting 40' of 3/4" schedule 40 conduit. It's a lot of work but should blend in pretty well when done.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,
While I have wired ethernet in my house I'm going to have to run some additional cables for some of my cameras. I don't net know whether I'll be able to hide those cables in the walls...

Assuming that I am not able to hide the cables I'll need to run some externally and in some areas vertically down exposed brickwork. Can someone point me in the direction of good options for camouflaging and protecting cables in that situation? I'd prefer to avoid running conspicuous trunking down the walls If I can...

Regards,
Dave
spend the money on someone who will run the cables in the walls

BigFoot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
spend the money on someone who will run the cables in the walls
I wish I could hide the cables in my walls - but my home was built in 1896 from Yorkshire Stone. The total wall thickness on the gable (where most of my cables will be run & 3 camera's mounted) is over 30 inches !

When the satellite guy came many years ago, he needed my Hilti drill & 3 ft long 10mm SDS bit to get the cable into our home -- his 'installer' drill & bit barely scratched the surface :)