Running POE extender vs addtional ethernet cable runs

Reaction score
I currently have 2 separate runs that are over 100 feet each (opposite sides of house). Since I can only run the wire on the outside of my house, I was wondering if it would make sense to use this POE extender (Amazon.com : Loryta PoE Extender Mini Passive 2 Port POE Switch, IEEE 802.3af/at POE Extender, POE Repeater, Ethernet Splitter, Powering 2 POE Devices (IP Camera) Over One Cat5/6 Cable : Camera & Photo) for the 4 cameras I have in that area. The alternative would be to run 2 additional cables, which would make it a total of 400+ feet of runs for these 2 locations.

Any pros/cons of each method? This will be powered by a NVR5216-16P-4KS2E.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
If you were using an external POE switch inside the house, the splitter you linked to (a 2-port POE switch) would work as long as the indoor switch port could supply enough power for 2 cameras. I don't know if it will work with the NVR's built in POE switch, so somebody else will need to address that. Another alternative is to use passive splitters that carry the link for the 2nd camera on the otherwise unused 4 wires in the existing catx cable. I'm doing this to several camera locations. If you were pulling the cables initially, I'd recommend just pulling two cables to both locations, but with the existing cable in place I would use the passive splitter if in your shoes, unless pulling the new cables was very easy. The only downside I see with the passive splitters is introducing more connectors into the runs, where the outdoor connectors have to be protected from moisture problems. On the outdoor end you have this same issue with the splitter/switch you linked to.

I hope this is understandable. It was a bit knotty to put into words.

Reaction score
You can also run two cams over a single cat5/6 cable. You need adapters on both ends of the cable, as it will use two ports on your switch.
Would I need to put those adapters in a junction box as well (if they are under the fascia)? Will the NVR have any issues with ID'ing the cameras separately? The primary reason I would prefer one line run would be esthetics.

wasabi

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you will need to connect the cameras to a POE switch with IPs all configured correctly on the cameras (192.168.0.etc etc) then use the NVR to manually add the cameras ensuring they are all on the same IP range.

brianegge

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Toan the Moan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is the kit:
Cable Matters Ethernet Cable Share Kit up to 100 Mbps - Check The Connection Diagram Before Purchasing - This is NOT a Two-Pack - Must Be Used in a Pair
by Cable Matters
Learn more:
One adapter connects to your switch/NVR and the other to your two cameras.
I used these POE cable splitters
£3.69 22%OFF | POE Splitter 2-in-1 network cabling connector three-way RJ45 connector head for security camera install