Running Power to Cameras

dsabot

n3wb
Reaction score
I have several long runs from our DVR to cameras. I don't really want to do home runs for all of them.

I was thinking of using a home run to a POE switch that branches off to 3-4 cameras.

This works great on the benchtest, however I ran into a problem. There is no power near where I want to put the POE Switch. Is there another solution where I have some type of POE injector that will power the POE Switch so the switch can sit in the ceiling with no access to power, other than a Cat5 cable?

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@SouthernYankee
He's asking for 3-4 cams on one ethernet run.
The first one you linked will only do POE on ports 1 & 2.
The 2nd one is only 2 port, but on the same product page has the same 4 port I already linked above (my 3rd link).

I too, have not used any of these.

dsabot

n3wb
Reaction score
THanks for the feedback. Wouldn't I need to run two home-runs though? One to power the POE and one to connect to the network?

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No, the power and network goes over the same line, that's how POE works. These are then splitting the POE power to the 4 ports.

You wouldn't want to power 4 PTZ cams off these, unless you used the 3rd one, and it would need a 60w injector to power it, as a regular POE switch outputs either 15w or 30w per port.

dsabot

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't actually have PTZ, just regular Hikvision bullet cameras. I know our DVR has POE built in. I suspect I would still need to inject even more power into these inline somehow?

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have no idea what DVR you have, so I'd only be guessing. You need to looks up the specs on what it outputs per port.

dsabot

n3wb
Reaction score
Assuming it isn't near 60watts, would I just get a POE injector for the homerun to the POE Splitter

SecuritySeeker

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Assuming it isn't near 60watts, would I just get a POE injector for the homerun to the POE Splitter
Correct, IF you need it. Your NVR may provide enough power out of one port already.

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here used to utilize Tycon mid span injectors....many many years ago...100Mbs sized...

hxxps://tyconsystems.com/products/tycon-power/poe-injectors

Original CCTV configuration was house out and edges of property in. Each camera saw other cameras...

I used irrigation PVC and asked the sprinker installers how to use their machine, gave them a $100 to install multiple PVC chases from the house to the perferal edges of the property...