Same user / password on several Hikvision cameras?

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just bought a second camera and thought it wold be wise to use same users and pw for both, but I got this message (see picture) when login on the new one as user, not admin.

I use a computer with win 10 pro.

Is the message something Hikvision has put in as an extra security? Allthough it is irritating as I find it a lot easier to have same pw for my other users. (I don't have NVR).
And I am asking howto get rid of it?

Attachments

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
That's not a message I've seen before.

I really don't think one stand-alone camera is going to complain (and certainly not know) about another camera having the same user password.
I'm wondering if it's just a poorly-worded message in response to the password being weak.
What does the user admin in the camera web GUI say about the password strength?

Did you have to 'Activate' the camera on first use?

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's not a message I've seen before.

I really don't think one stand-alone camera is going to complain (and certainly not know) about another camera having the same user password.
I'm wondering if it's just a poorly-worded message in response to the password being weak.
What does the user admin in the camera web GUI say about the password strength?

Did you have to 'Activate' the camera on first use?
Yes, this is abnormal. I use a very extrem strong pw. The camera web GUI accepted and had no comment.

The old camera is remote via vpn (192.168.1.xx) and the new one local (192.168.5.xx). The new camera demand admin rights in IE if I do downloads.

The message come up when I try to login on into the new one. Now I have tested 1) only the new one, 2) the new one together (after) the old one and in both cases the message show up. It make no difference if I login IE without admin rights. (Login the old one alone give no message).

Conclusion: It has something to do with the new camera. A last attempt, deleting all IE historiy, change nothing, proves that it has nothing to do with IE. May be the new camera save a pw history itself or it (or the IE app) is doing a check with China/Hikvision? (My new camera is bought from a Norwegian Hikvision dealer and is not a China version).

Last edited:

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Support EU Hikvision told me the solution:

It is a new facility/security where the camera always demand changing a new given pw from admin. The operator/user has to change his own pw, then the message is not seen anymore.