Samsung Smartthings question...

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
We just signed a contract on a new home so I'll be reinstalling our cameras. They are all Dahua cams running via poe. Do you think the same line running to the cameras would power the sensor below also? Would really like to not have to change batteries. Looking at 4 sensors in locations where there won't be any outlets. Thanks in advance.

Zooz Z-Wave Plus S2 Outdoor Motion Sensor ZSE29

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We just signed a contract on a new home so I'll be reinstalling our cameras. They are all Dahua cams running via poe. Do you think the same line running to the cameras would power the sensor below also? Would really like to not have to change batteries. Looking at 4 sensors in locations where there won't be any outlets. Thanks in advance.

Zooz Z-Wave Plus S2 Outdoor Motion Sensor ZSE29
I Googled your brand & model since it was not a link and found it on amazon, where it states it's powered by "....3 x AA (1.5 V) batteries (included) / Micro USB (cable + adapter sold separately) ."
I don't see why you could not power it from your POE with an active 802.3af POE to 5 VDC splitter such as this with its Micro-USB connector (check to determine needed gender). It would need to be protected from the elements.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That would be awesome. Sorry for not providing a link. I may pick up one sensor and the hub to test it before we get to the new place. Next will be hoping for easy runs through the attic to the locations I need. They will be under the eaves out of the weather but will definitely enclose them in a waterproof box during installation.

Attachments

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The group I'm discussing this in said splitting isn't recommended. Considering two runs of ethernet cable.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The group I'm discussing this in said splitting isn't recommended. Considering two runs of ethernet cable.
Yes, it would be on its own run. The RJ-45 male coming out is data only, no power so it would not power a POE cam anyway. I figured that your POE switch could power this 5VDC splitter and eliminate those pesky batteries.
It is not intended to "split" power between a POE-powered device and a 5 VDC device.

P.S. - nice looking place! You do have a riding mower or zero-turn right? :lol:

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
OK. Yeah I need power to both so two separate runs is what you recommend. Once I'm in the house and can figure out where the Blue Iris system will go and where everything is tretched from and to.