Saturday Night Fun in the Country

cosecant64

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ironically, I left the city to get away from this.

The camera is a EmpireTech IPC-HDW2231R-ZS Bought from Andy a couple years ago. It has no speakers, but Blue Iris allows me to incorporate the audio feed of a nearby 5231 Turret. This camera's only purpose is to watch my driveway and alert me when there is traffic on the road. The distance from camera to road is about 400 feet so trying to get good shots in a rural setting is unlikely. Good thing I record 24x7 or this video would not have made.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Don't you all know, all we gotta do is digital zoom and and we can tell if it is a gunshot or backfire :lmao: And make out the vehicle, plate, and number of occupants LOL

1643571966058.png

1643571991104.png

And kids, this is why we say you need a camera with optical zoom, not digital zoom as that only works on TV and in the movies....

Best we can tell is there were two instances of a flash. Both appear to be lower than the headlights, suggesting perhaps a backfire, but it could have been a rifle pointed downward as well. If a backfire, then it appears it was a vehicle where the exhaust exits in front of the back wheels maybe, possibly, but not sure LOL based on what you can kind of make out of a front and back end.

cosecant64

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would agree with the backfire theories. However, the empty shell casing from .40 cal makes me lean more to the idea that it was a handgun.

I like the enhanced photo work by wittaj. You can clearly make out the country thug in the rear window shootin gansta style while sippen some 4-0s.

cosecant64

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So far as I can tell, nothing of mine was hit. I think they were taking a couple of safe shots into the field in front of my house.

Regarding Illuminators... The distance to the road is quite far (400'). I am not really willing to monitor the county road at this time. This camera's primary purpose is to monitor my driveway to the left for automotive traffic. The fact it can see the road is a secondary benefit.

I have thought about using a better camera to monitor the road apron and my adjacent mailbox, but that is still in the planning phase. I also thought about installing a LPR camera, but the logistics of 400+ feet of wire seem difficult. I am still studying that path too.

This is has been good forum for working on these types of projects and I have learned much from you guys over the years.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, note I said it wouldnt get the road. But I have a buddy that has a lot of land with the same cameras and adding external IR made a HUGE difference in the area that IS visible

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks like a backfire to me. Chassis level and behind the car. Had it been gangbangers it would have had to have been out the window which would have placed it further forward and 1/2 way up the vehicle.

Either way, I recommend one of these: for point defence (subject togetting an import licence):

cosecant64

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
After further review, I have to agree with MrRobinHood, CCTVCam,and wittaj that the flash is nothing more than a couple of backfires. The flash appears below the taillights where most exhaust discharge. When I crank the volume with my headphones, I can hear the engine sputter before, then after the bang.

Finding a .40 cal shell casing along the road isn't enough to convince me it wasn't a backfire. Besides the .40 cal shell casing, I also found two old shotgun shells, three golf balls, and numerous other roadside debris.

Glad to know that the city ways haven't made it out here yet.

Sorry I didn't vet the video better before publishing. My bad.

Reaction score
After further review, I have to agree with MrRobinHood, CCTVCam,and wittaj that the flash is nothing more than a couple of backfires. The flash appears below the taillights where most exhaust discharge. When I crank the volume with my headphones, I can hear the engine sputter before, then after the bang.
Finding a .40 cal shell casing along the road isn't enough to convince me it wasn't a backfire. Besides the .40 cal shell casing, I also found two old shotgun shells, three golf balls, and numerous other roadside debris.
Glad to know that the city ways haven't made it out here yet.
Sorry I didn't vet the video better before publishing. My bad.
Yes, I agree with your shifting view of the evidence. While it's silent before your property, and silent after, my first thought is that somebody rigged that vehicle up to backfire on command, and perhaps they're just messing with you. Is that possible? And for what it's worth, the images strike me more as a motorcycle; the vehicle seems to have a short wheelbase, and the reflection up high about mid-span seems to be that of a helmet. Just hypothesising.