scan for wifi ip cam address

cbbella

n3wb
Reaction score
hi, i have a wifi ip cam installed on the outside of my property which i gave a password consisting of 8 characters. i then got a new router hub from my isp and activated it but it requires a 10 character password to access it.
i should have accessed and changed the camera password before i activated my new hub but i never gave it a thought at the time and now i can't access my camera. is there a way i can scan for my cameras ip address as i can't remember it.
i've tried different network scanners but they only see other hubs around me or devices that are already connected to my network but they do not see my camera. is there a way to find my camera's ip address without physically getting up a ladder and connecting an ethernet cable to it as its 20ft up on my property

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
At the very least, your cam needs to be configured to connect with the SSID (Wi-Fi name) and Wi-Fi password of the new router.
It's also possible that that the new router has a LAN IP that is not in same subnet as the old router and camera.

Do you still have the old router and why was it replaced? Depending on your answers, it may be possible to use it to resolve your problem.

Last edited:

GCoco

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you dont have the old router then you need to get the ladder out.

cbbella

n3wb
Reaction score
At the very least, your cam needs to be configured to connect with the SSID (Wi-Fi name) and Wi-Fi password of the new router.
It's also possible that that the new router has a LAN IP that is not in same subnet as the old router and camera.

Do you still have the old router and why was it replaced? Depending on your answers, it may be possible to use it to resolve your problem.

i don't have the old router now. it was replaced for the latest model from my isp as the other one was faulty

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
i don't have the old router now. it was replaced for the latest model from my isp as the other one was faulty
Can you borrow an unused router / AP from a friend/relative that you can configure with the same SSID and required key as the old one, to gain temporary access to the camera so you can make the needed config changes?
To save going up the ladder.