Scott from Maryland

cpnwingit

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi there, glad to have found ipcamtalk. New to IP cams but am very excited about getting onboard.

I've recently ordered a Dahua SD6C230U-HNI PTZ and a Dahua IPC-HDBW5231E-Z dome (wish I had read @nayr first! Would have purchased the turret model or the bullet).

For now I'm using Synology's Surveillance Station but am curious to explore BI.

Glad to be aboard and look forward to learning a lot. Great site, thanks!

Scott

cpnwingit

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks looking forward to learning more about what I know very little about! Looks like I'm in the right place :)

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome! Surveillance Station is what I started with. Jumped from there to a dedicated Dahua NVR, and from there to Blue Iris. I love love love BI so much more than the other two! For my setup, it's so much more configurable (on what to do when motion is detected) than either SS or the NVR.

cpnwingit

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome! I can already see the seeds of change for me! SS kind of opened my eyes to what was out there; seeing how much is possible will drive me forward. Thanks for the feedback; looking forward to exploring BI!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi there, glad to have found ipcamtalk. New to IP cams but am very excited about getting onboard.

I've recently ordered a Dahua SD6C230U-HNI PTZ and a Dahua IPC-HDBW5231E-Z dome (wish I had read @nayr first! Would have purchased the turret model or the bullet).

Glad to be aboard and look forward to learning a lot. Great site, thanks!

Scott
Welcome Scott,

wow, for someone new to IP cams the PTZ is one heck of a starter ;-)

cpnwingit

n3wb
Reaction score
You're too funny! I think it's a bit of "If you give a mouse a cookie". I looked and looked trying to find something to get me started. Thought I'd watched enough videos and read enough reviews; not so much. I didn't wan't to wait for something from Shenzen so went the Amazon Prime route with a couple Reolink domes (RLC-422) and a Sunba 601-D20X.

Spent an evening or two going in circles with the Synology and the Sunba; finally got the two to get along. Was waiting on some mounting hardware so hadn't installed it and decided to mount the Reolink. Setup was a breeze and was happy enough with the image quality until...dark. Not saying it was unacceptable; just not what I was expecting. So...back to the internet. Noticed the Amcrest IP4M-1025E was basically a Dahua in another wrapper so I ordered a couple. While they were enroute, I discovered videos from @nayr showing Starlight cams. Game over for me.

Returned all of the above (did open an Amcrest and checked it out; not too bad really, think the low light performance was actually a little better than the Reolink) and ordered the Dahua's for their capability and compatibility with Synology's Surveillance Station.

That's all my dirty laundry and proof that I have no idea what I'm doing ;)

Last edited: