Scrambled Video From One Camera

Skinsfan

n3wb
Reaction score
I just had to replace my previous BI computer which had a cpu problem and installed BI5 on the new computer today. I imported my .reg file and all of my cameras came up fine except one. The video after a second or two comes up completely scrambled and I did not have this problem before. Although the settings (both BI and the camera) are the same they have been (successfully) for over two years, I have tried almost every other setting and still get this. All other cameras are fine. I need to get this one working properly too. Checking the web interface for the camera, the video is rock solid. I have (multiple times) tried deleting the camera and adding it again and I always get the same scrambled video on BI, both live and recorded.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When you added the camera back after deleting it, did you give it the same name as before or did you give it a new (long and short) name? Maybe something is corrupted wrt that camera in the registry.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
There are a number of things to try. Hopefully one of these helps.

In the camera's web interface

1) Use plain H.264 encoding. No H.264+ or smart codec or H.265 or SVC.
2) Set frame rate of camera to 15 FPS or lower.
3) Set i-frame interval equal to frame rate.

In Blue Iris's camera properties:

Video Tab

1) Toggle hardware acceleration on or off.
2) If using direct to disk on this camera, set the "Max. rate" option 1-2 higher than you set it in the camera.

Video > Network IP > Configure

1) Set the Receive buffer (MB) higher. I tend to use 6 MB but you can raise it as high as 40 MB.
2) Toggle the decoder compatibility mode option.
3) Toggle the RTSP/stream timecode option.

Skinsfan

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! With a combination of trying multiple pairs of configurations, it is (so far) back to working normally. Not sure what the magic combo was, but I'm leaving it alone. There weren't any H264/265 settings. It's just an inexpensive Foscam with 'HD' or VGA capabilities, but the video on it for the last couple of years has been excellent for where I have it (not a high security area at all). The problem however was definitely BI. I believe it was a hardware acceleration issue in BI. Weird that I never had that problem with BI4 nor with the BI5 install of this camera on the previous computer. Maybe because on that one, I had BI4 installed before I upgraded to 5, and this new computer was a fresh BI5 install with my old BI.reg (from the previous BI4 --> BI5 install) thrown on top.

Skinsfan

n3wb
Reaction score
.. and what's even weirder is that I went back and toggled all of the hardware acceleration options back ON just to try and figure out what I changed that fixed the issue and it is still working properly. I can only guess that the original BI.reg file was bad and toggling the hardware acceleration options re-set something to make it work.