SD Cards Longevity question

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
TBH it has nothing to do with the number of views. An SD card in a camera with 2 views recorded a total of 20mb/s will last twice as long as one with 1 view in a camera with a data rate of 40 mb/s. It's to do with the amount of data written and the number of hours of usage. Every card type has a finite lifespan as every address on SD memory can only be written to a finite number of times before the memory starts to fail. There are types of cards, as I mentioned above, that use types of SD memory that can withstand a greater number of writes, these are labelled Endurance cards and tend to be more expensive and sometimes slower than the cheaper non endurance types. The difference is you can write to these between 2-4 times as much data, depending on the memory type, as with a typical SD card., Thus the card will last 2-4 times as long before failing. All SD cards fail, it's only a matter of time. The difference between them is how long they take to get there.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
JUST GET HIGH ENDURANCE AND BE DONE WITH IT.

Samsung Pro Endurance.

Sandisk High Endurance.

etc

Honestly cards are so cheap now. Even in canada they are cheap so I can imagine you yankies can get em for a few bucks. Just get the good high endurance ones. Should last years.

yggdrasil

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

So i've read that SD cards are notoriously unreliable in DashCams and IP camera's, being the heat and constant writes. Apparently Sandisk make one that's somewhat more durable to the higher / colder temps.

Just wondering, what has your experience been with an SD card's longevity. I'm currently running a sandisk 32gb in my Cobra DriveHD, that i picked up from Costco... It's hardwired in and stays put in the blazing SW Floridan sunshine all throughout the day, even to the point that the dashcam is too hot to touch.. and its been fine thus far.. mind you, i've only had it in the car for a couple of months.
Samsung also has ones, I think it's called the Pro Endurance series, which supports more writes over its life span for security cameras. I purchased a few Sandisk endurance ones which are supposed to be more durable for cameras as well, but I can't comment since they are running for a few months so far, none failed at this point, but I guess this would be true for other cheap SD cards as well. I was actually going to go with the Samsung ones, but they were quite more expensive. I will probably go with those over the Sandisk in the futures since Samsung.

From other communities that run home assistant and other things on Raspberry Pi's it is very common for people to have problems with SD card as the main drive, they all die at some point, and people do all sort of stuff like turning logs off to decrease writes. I assume cameras are no different, you are basically writing video footage constantly, it's just a question of when they will die. Personally, I would stick to the brands that advertise them to be more durable for writes or made for security cameras.

JonnyBonny

n3wb
Reaction score
Samsung also has ones, I think it's called the Pro Endurance series, which supports more writes over its life span for security cameras. I purchased a few Sandisk endurance ones which are supposed to be more durable for cameras as well, but I can't comment since they are running for a few months so far, none failed at this point, but I guess this would be true for other cheap SD cards as well. I was actually going to go with the Samsung ones, but they were quite more expensive. I will probably go with those over the Sandisk in the futures since Samsung.

From other communities that run home assistant and other things on Raspberry Pi's it is very common for people to have problems with SD card as the main drive, they all die at some point, and people do all sort of stuff like turning logs off to decrease writes. From other communities that run home assistant and other things on Raspberry Pi's it is very common for people to have problems with SD card as the main drive, they all die at some point, and people do all sort of stuff like turning logs off to decrease writes. I assume cameras are no different, you are basically writing video footage constantly, it's just a question of when they will die. Personally, I would stick to the brands that advertise them to be more durable for writes or made for security omegle cameras.
Where are you purchasing Sandisk from? I bought it something called Sandisk store or something... 2 cards both of them didn't worked.