SD1A404XB image will a 5442T-ZE be way better?

Operations

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Below see the image quality of my current SD1A404XB. I would like the image to be a bit better, no sure if that is possible (without thousand + dollar cameras).

i would like to be able to read the license plates of the cars also on the road. (Besides the left black one)

Will a 5442T-ZE give a way better image/video quality ? And if not which camera will? I have added a video detail settings screen for extra info. (Not looking for a ANPR camera, just want to be able to read the plates or the street sign myself. Not that that is very very important but more as a reference) also no turret and the width angle is also important, so afaik something like a 6mm will not make my shortlist.. right?

Screenshot_20230810_001648_Onvier.jpgScreenshot_20230810_001632_Onvier.jpg's

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
^^^^^^
Agree

Yes the 5442 will get you a better iamge.
No you still wont be able to use it to read plates. You need two cameras.

Operations

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You need to dedicate a camera for just LPR.
Study this subject for more info.
LPR | IP Cam Talk
New to LPR? Considerations Before You Begin | IP Cam Talk
I have read those before, but like i said i only wanted to be able to read them myself not automatically. I thought that would be different but apparently not.

I thought about LPR camera in the past, but not sure if the corner in the road makes it a possible in a good way. Also because of the angle and sun.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most of us do not have cameras that read the plates automatically - we read them ourselves manually.

Reading plates is all about OPTICAL zoom and not DIGITAL zoom and shutter speed.

The biggest mistake people make is thinking one camera can be the be all, see all.

These cameras are not like Hollywood and the movies where you can digital zoom after the fact and read plates. You may get by with a little during the day, but not at night.

Now in your county you have big @$$ plates the size of a bumper LOL, so you might get away with reading some of them, but if LPR is your goal, you need to dedicate a camera to that task.

But realistically you should have a camera OPTICALLY zoomed in to about the red block. Your corner is actually a good location as cars will have to go slow thru there and you may be one of the few that could capture color with all that light. Most of us need to do B/W.

1691643245330.png

Here was a thread from a while back where someone had a similar type situation as you and was wondering why his 8MP wasn't allowing him to manually read plates - it is because digital zoom doesn't work well.