SD22204T-GN vs SD29204S-GN

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Further down in the copied and pasted bit from Dahua it doesn't say that. I have no reason to doubt you, but every reason to doubt anything not saying it has Exmor for any other models (on the dahua security website pdfs not dahuawiki)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dahua's Spec sheets have not been all that great historically, for example my big black face Dahua supports PoE+ however has no mention of PoE support in the spec sheet.. I wired it up with 24vac before realizing it.

this DahuaWiki has been a fairly new thing and here recently there have been a quite a bit of additions by native english speaking document writers.. they seem to be cleaning things up alot and making this information that was once hard to find much easier to locate.

rudi

n3wb
Reaction score
I also recently purchased a SD22204T and found that the image quality was slightly down on the SD29204S-GN but only slightly. However, one thing I have noticed is that the camera is facing backwards. The stop point is at the opposite end to where the cable comes out which I would have thought would be the back. Anyone else have this?

rudi

n3wb
Reaction score
The problem is the physical stop point as it won't rotate a full 360 deg, if you have the stop in the center of your view you will have to go full circle to go to the other side of it. It's a bit difficult to explain.

rudi

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry for hijacking this thread, but really does look like the camera is physically pointing the wrong way on it's base

Anto

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I received my SD22204T-GN yesterday. Will be testing it for several weeks before install. First impression, daytime excellent video, night time with no IR light zero rating (not good). Unit gets hot IMO. I do not like hot running cams. My Hikvision 4MP bullet, and Dahua HFW2320R-ZS run cool even with the IR on.

Members who are contemplating to purchase SD22204T-GN should be aware of the following info which is from the installation manual V1.0.0,

6. Installation Environment Requirement
This series speed dome should be installed in a cool, dry place away from
direct sunlight....

I guess I am lucky because where I am going to mount the cam, under suffitt there is no direct sunlight.

One question I have, there is a small bag stuffed on the inside of the camera (I think it's a dry-pack used for moisture absorbing), in the manual provided there is no info whether to leave the bag in unit or take it out...should that stay in cam or removed?

Kitsap

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I left the desiccant packet in place. Go to Setup -> Conditions -> Defog and see if the heater is set to auto.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
6. Installation Environment Requirement
This series speed dome should be installed in a cool, dry place away from
direct sunlight....

I guess I am lucky because where I am going to mount the cam, under suffitt there is no direct sunlight.
This is true for all domes, they are not really suitable outdoors.. You ever seen a piece of plastic that's been exposed to direct sunlight for a few years? Like HeadLamps on older cars, The dome will degrade, cloud up and destroy the image.. because transparent plastics have basically zero UV protection.. so yeah, Cameras can get sunburnt, seen alot of em that ended up like that in pretty quick order.. A glass dome would not offer any impact protection.

Putting a dome in the sun, will end up like this.. but in reverse:

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
turrets are the outdoor domes.. the SD29204S-GN is a turret

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@nayr, Do you think the SD29204S-GN can be made "waterproof" for more outside options?
I wonder why they would not make a waterproof model in this lower priced form factor?

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
im sure you could put it inside a generic dome if you really wanted to..

they do make an outdoor dome in this price range; but it does not have IR..

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Saw that...would have tried it if it had IR. I noticed yours is outdoors and others have talked about using them outdoor under eves where they hope water would not blow in...just wondering if it is just one of those sooner or later it will fail things doing that or not.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
going to depend largely on environment; I expect it to last the long haul where I have mine installed.. but I live in a high altitude desert; it survived the one bad bit of fog ive seen since its been installed.. but its not a regular occurrence, once a year is about normal.. Spring we had a mini-blizard that packed some nice wet snow up against the lens and it was just fine, but the top of the unit was bone dry.

I took it down the last time I cleaned my siding and stuff off w/a garden hose.. whereas all the rest of the cameras I gave a bath.

clueless

n3wb
Reaction score
Nayr, I have just recently installed the Dahua SD29204T-GN - lovely cam but a couple of extra optical zoom would have made it perfect.

is there anyway of turning the IR off until and unless re-activated?

clueless

n3wb
Reaction score
what software are you using?

I cant find the menu in SmartPSS or 192.168.0.6

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok finally a test from my side. Tribute to Nayr style :)

Daytime only, It is like 5 meter high looking into our garden on a very foggy day with no sun.
Bitrate = 8183kbps
Frame rate - 25
Temporary setup on movable pole standing in the bedroom at 1st floor and filming through open door.

Remains to be seen if I can repeat this after dark as my Wife will not appreciate the open window than :)

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok tested early in the morning and here are clips from somewhat in the dark (it is never a blackout as there is street lights and house lights next to us. Also our own motion detect ligts go on when you walk near them.

First no IR lights

second is the IR of the Hikvision Turret (4 mm lens so IR is perhaps also somewhat narrow) which is left side below where the DH-SD22204T-GN is.

And third is the clip with the IR unit S-SG6-IR 90 degree (10 watts)

In the 3rd clip you see the IR unit go on after some seconds into the clip. The Hikvision was still turned off.

Last edited: