SD49225XA-HNR/SD49425XB-HNR -vs- SD5A425XA-HNR & SD6CE445XA-HNR

bcarpenter

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Picked up the 49225 and the 49425 and some other cams With IVS, my false alerts have almost gone to zero.

My only slight disappointment is with the auto-tracking. It's inconsistent. Sometimes they will work absolutely perfect. Sometimes they lock onto a vertical 6x6 as a person walks behind and tracking will stop at that point. Sometimes they lock onto a banana tree if the person walks behind it (and out the other side). Sometimes they don't recognize a figure as a person. Sometimes, they lock onto an inanimate object like a riding lawn mower or the roof of a building. They do pretty well on cars though.

Anyone have experience with auto tracking on the 5A425 and the 6CE445? How do they compare? Is there a better value available in these price ranges ..... even another brand that operates with IVS?

Also, anyone have experience with Blue Iris -vs- a Dahua NVR? How easy does Blue IRIS accept Dahua cams? Performance?

Sure appreciate any insights ......

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Blue Iris accepts Dahua cams just fine. Performance is outstanding.

Keep in mind auto-tracking is great, but it isn't perfect. Lot's of factors can influence the ability to track. They certainly are not plug and play.

Some say the Hiks track better, others say the Dahua tracks better. Kinda like comparing Honda and Toyota. The Hiks are a lot more. I think someone said their Hikvision ds-2df8236i5x-aelw tracks better than the 49225, but it is $3,600.

Generally the cameras you identified all track generally the same. Some will say the 49225 tracks better than the 49425 as it can get more light to the sensor since they are the same size sensor.

It would help to show some video of what you are experiencing, and if you have an SD card in the camera it will allow you to show the object tracking box on the screen so we can see what it locked onto instead would be very helpful.

As you are seeing, these are not plug and play. You have to dial them in. But once you do, they are incredible. Mine hits the mark over 95% of the time.

Are you running default/auto settings?

It is a matter of getting the brightness/contrast and target ratio settings correct.

I always knew that you shouldn't chase a bright picture - it looks nice and people migrate towards a brighter TV for example, but upon closer examination, most images need to be toned down in order to get all the details. You will be surprised how much changing a parameter like gamma could impact tracking. For example, if you have a pesky tree or something in the middle of the view during an autotrack, just by changing some image parameters you can get autotrack to pass it.

Making the image a little darker at night actually helped with tracking someone across the street, which was opposite of what I thought you would think to do. So add some contrast to your image above and see if it improves.

I have a yard lamp post that more times than not autotrack would get stuck on it as someone was walking and the autotrack would only go so far. Because my image has soo much contrast (bright white concrete a third, blacktop road a third, grass a third), knocking down the gamma made the lamp post not be so "trackable" lol, and along with that I turned of PFA and that gave it just enough time to retrack the person walking past the lamp post. The camera may still autotrack the lamp post when a small kid goes by, but an adult it was autotracking past the lamp post.

Ideally for an intrusion box or tripwires, you should have the initial field of view be such that the camera doesn't have to initially pan too much up/down or left/right to get the object in the center of the screen to start tracking. The closer the object is to the center of the image, the better the chance that it will track correctly.

The reason it starts looking upward or left or right is usually because the intrusion box is too big so the camera identifies the object before it is in the center of the field of view and then sometimes something else matches the "algorithm signature" of the initial object and then starts trying to track something that isn't there. Adjusting the field of view and the locations of the IVS rules to be closer to the center can fix that.

The target track size plays a big role as well. Sometimes just changing that number by 1 can significantly improve or deteriorate the tracking ability.

Autotracking PTZs are great, but they have limitations like everything else. Installed in a wrong location or with fields of view that do not give it a chance will be problematic.

A camera losing track is usually changing something as simple as adjusting the field of view to get more of the object in the center can make all the difference whether it tracks correctly or not. Or changing brightness/contrast. Or the target track size.

therealdeal74

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have both the 5A425 and the 49425 and a couple 49225 cameras. The 5A425 the tracking doesn't work as well for me. Given the problems I've had with a faulty 5A425, the larger size and uglier look, and the focal length is less versatile for me, I would not recommend the 5A425. I just had another need for a PTZ and ordered the 49225 again.

Regarding BI vs the Dahua NVR, the Dahua NVR about the only thing I like about it is that you can configure the cameras in the UI, even the IVS stuff. There seems to be a lot of intelligence in searching for the videos in the AI section. For instance, you can search for a human wearing a red long sleeve shirt and blue shorts, but I haven't spent the time to figure it out. But reviewing videos and exporting them is a complete PITA. When I have time I'm going to scrap the NVR in favor of BI.

tron75

n3wb
Reaction score
The SD5A425XA-HNR has some big improvement on the autotracking based on the 2021 Sep firmware.
Best cams with auto tracking? | Page 2 | IP Cam Talk
Hi Empiretecandy, I need a PTZ for an alley and back parking area. Which PTZ should I buy from you:
SD5A425XA-HNR (almost double cost than the 49)
SD49425XB-HNR
or something else?

Also,
I'm paring the PTZ with other cameras.
I was about to buy (unless you recommend alternatives you sell):
a few 5mp amcrest domes for basements ($60 each)
amcrest 4k zoom domes for outside building ($200 each)
I'm setting up blueiris. Thanks,