SD49425XB-HNR PTZ problems

DeanD

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All

I just installed this new out of the box today andI can zoom, tilt up and down, but the second I try to go left or right the image freezes and I loose connection.

After it loses connection, regardless of where the camera is pointed it then turns to its default position and default zoom. After about 1 minute connection resumes.

I’ve reached out to Andy for help as well incase it is hardware problem but figured I might be missing something simple that the forums could help with.

thanks

Futaba

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Your POE injector or POE switch is not powerful enough. The cam needs a powerful POE injector. I use this one for my 49225. It can output 30W.

DeanD

n3wb
Reaction score
I’m using a net gear JGS524PE rated at 100W. However I’m using all 12 channels so I presume this definitely isn’t enough for this cam.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah you need a POE+. That switch may only be rated at 15w and/or using all ports you have exceeded it's total capacity even if it was capable on a per channel basis. 100w for 12 ports is fairly low.

You can try unplugging a few cameras and see, but I suspect you need to add a Poe+ injector or POE+ switch.

DeanD

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks to both for your replies, much appreciated. I figured it was something simple enough but never considered power to be the problem.

I will pick a injector up - does it matter if the injector is rated for more than 30W (i see some are rated 30/60/90, or are they managed?)

Also I presume I would then use a non POE port on the switch and route through the injector only.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As long as it is at least 30w it should then only put out what is needed.

It does not need to be managed and it can go into any available port on the switch (other than the uplink).. A cheap $20ish or so Poe+ injector is fine.

Rockie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've just upgraded the firmware, damn! Funny thing is that if I visit the admin page with my phone, I still see AI tab.
Does anybody have an older firmware for SD49425XB-HNR?

Also, I have the same problem with the same camera.
My switch is cisco sf300-48p with PoE+ 375W Poe

I've fixed the problem by using the Cisco admin area and setting for that port PoE from Normal to Critical.

Nominal Power:
375W
Consumed Power:
90W
Available Power:
285W

Last edited:

gsk.archie

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Does anyone have problems with positioning when using this device? The zero position is shifted and all the saved presets are with it, it's very annoying. In some camera models, there is a "set zero" option in the PTZ settings for this. I didn't find anything like that here.

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The PTZ mechanism does not have an absolute position encoder. Instead the system does an initial calibration for horizontal and vertical “zero” when PTZ boots. From that point on position is tracked based on stepper motor counts. If anything knocks the camera position or if a motion is hindered mechanically, the counter no longer matches actual position. You then get a shift like you are seeing.

You can either reboot the entire camera or restart the ptz system to recal the zero. It is best to do a restart before storing major PTZ positions so they are based on reproducible baseline position

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here is what the vertical optical sensor and interruptor look like. When PTZ boots, the controller rotates until the interruptor blocks light across the optical sensor. That is how the PTZ board finds the motion limit. Horizontal direction has analogous optical sensor and interruptor.

I sometimes modify the interruptor to enable a bit more upward vertical capability in my PTZ's.ptz opto.jpg

gsk.archie

n3wb
Reaction score
It is best to do a restart before storing major PTZ positions so they are based on reproducible baseline position
That's what I did.
Moreover, the reboot is performed automatically once every three days.
It looks like the zero position is no longer where it was originally. How can this happen? An optical sensor glitch?

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It this a newly installed unit? Mine are almost always bumped out of position (moved manually) as I adjust the mounting. SOP has become, reboot post install to establish a good baseline position zero.

gsk.archie

n3wb
Reaction score
The camera was installed about 3 years ago and this is the second time when the position is lost. After the first time, I figured out to restart before installing presets.