erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Device Type: DH-SD59225U-HNI
System Version: 2.622.0000000.5.R.E4.2512.3S.NR, Build Date: 2017-12-28
WEB Version: 3.2.1.533628
ONVIF Version: 16.12(V2.4.1.516943)
PTZ Version: 2.301.0000000.3.RHNT_180331_26657

Thanks to Andy, I've picked up two of these cameras. I've installed the first about 20' up on the utility pole at the entrance of my driveway. I'm the only house on the street, and the co-op electric company will likely never come down the road unless I call them. My closest neighbor is more than a mile away.

That said, after scanning nearly 70 pages under the 5922 thread, I've read a lot of comments about the auto-tracking feature, but I'm sure I missed the resolution (if there was one). Here are my concerns:

1) When the camera detects movement (which sometimes takes a while, or it doesn't at all), it is often too slow to follow. If it does, and the movement stops, it returns back to the preset too soon. I've adjusted the various settings to 300 seconds, but it seems to be 10 seconds at best. Am I missing a specific setting?

2) It gets confused often. Rather than tracking my vehicle as I approach, it'll lock on to the dust cloud behind the car. Is there any way to tweak this so it's more accurate?

3) I don't understand the difference between the intrusion rule area (drawing yellow area which turns dark blue) and the "target area". Is there a good place to learn more about this?

4) What is the (un)lock (xxx second) button do?

5) Is there a way to increase the sensitivity for contrast and/or size that the target needs to be to trigger the auto track?

6) What does face detection do vs. IVS.

Here's what it looks like when it works:

And when it doesn't:

Any comments welocome

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
If you read the post on Auto Tracking then you know its hit or miss. I can have it track excellent one time then a min. later go wandering and miss the target completely. This feature is the most unreliable on the cameras.

You just have to play around with the setting as loonny2ns said to get it to track the best you can until (if) they improve their algorithm.
My PTZ's are not the same as yours but should have close to the same settings.

1. You can try to turn your PTZ speed up to see if that helps. (probably not) Settings-->PTZ-->Functions-->PTZ speed.

2. Change your target size, make it smaller under IVS target min. On the max, I turn down as well but not to small, about the size of a car.

3. The target area seems to me, to define the size of the target in the intrusion area. Try adding tripwire rule, It worked better for me than the intrusion on. I have both set up on one camera.

5. Size is defined by the object filter = "target size"

6. I have not ever been able to get the face detection even to work

A few things I have noticed:

*In the PSS software- there is still a sensitivity, shadow and disturbance filter settings that use to be on the cameras that was removed a few firmware updates ago.
If you right click on the camera in the live view from the device list on the left, you will see ( IVS channel config)
d1.JPG

Not sure why they would remove it or if it even has a effect on the IVS. The sensitivity seems to work but not the shadow filter so much.
This is where you can add an exclusion zone if needed.

*When my IVS seemed really wacked out, not tracking, tracking mysterious objects etc. a factory reset and resetting up the IVS did the trick of getting it to behave better. After resetting I go out and "train" the IVS. I let it lock onto me and track a few times, go back to home position and re track. I have no ideal if this helps, but I feel better.. lol

* If you have auto reboot on in the auto maintain section, uncheck auto delete old files. I use to have it on and I switched this off. Seems to help make things more consistent.

* Not sure if your cam has intelligent track, but it also has a timer. It seems to work better than the rule set up but it does not mark the time in the recorder like IVS does. Both can be enabled
d2.JPG

* Auto Tracking will piss you off if you rely on it, so DON'T

Last edited:

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
Device Type: DH-SD59225U-HNI
System Version: 2.622.0000000.5.R.E4.2512.3S.NR, Build Date: 2017-12-28
WEB Version: 3.2.1.533628
ONVIF Version: 16.12(V2.4.1.516943)
PTZ Version: 2.301.0000000.3.RHNT_180331_26657

Thanks to Andy, I've picked up two of these cameras. I've installed the first about 20' up on the utility pole at the entrance of my driveway. I'm the only house on the street, and the co-op electric company will likely never come down the road unless I call them. My closest neighbor is more than a mile away.

That said, after scanning nearly 70 pages under the 5922 thread, I've read a lot of comments about the auto-tracking feature, but I'm sure I missed the resolution (if there was one). Here are my concerns:

1) When the camera detects movement (which sometimes takes a while, or it doesn't at all), it is often too slow to follow. If it does, and the movement stops, it returns back to the preset too soon. I've adjusted the various settings to 300 seconds, but it seems to be 10 seconds at best. Am I missing a specific setting?

2) It gets confused often. Rather than tracking my vehicle as I approach, it'll lock on to the dust cloud behind the car. Is there any way to tweak this so it's more accurate?

3) I don't understand the difference between the intrusion rule area (drawing yellow area which turns dark blue) and the "target area". Is there a good place to learn more about this?

4) What is the (un)lock (xxx second) button do?

5) Is there a way to increase the sensitivity for contrast and/or size that the target needs to be to trigger the auto track?

6) What does face detection do vs. IVS.

Here's what it looks like when it works:

And when it doesn't:

Any comments welocome
I use intrusion boxes.. tripwires never work for me.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks @Cameraguy. I'm glad you replied. It was your videos of the tractor and turkey that pushed me over the edge to get this camera. No regrets, as I'm sure I can get better performance once I figure out how to tweak it.

I am using the intrusion rules, and am currently playing with target size. By default, the min is 0x0 and the max is full screen. I would think this means it will try to follow anything of any size that moves within the rules. So reducing the target sizes would only serve to lessen the sensitivity - if I understand it correctly, no?

Also, with regard to the tracking timeout, have you found a way to get it to follow for more than 10 seconds? It seems that after successfully following a target, if the movement stops for more than 10 seconds, it goes back to the preset value. I was hoping to have it stay longer. Though I suppose if it starts tracking the dust cloud behind a car (rather than the car itself), shorter is better.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks @Cameraguy. I'm glad you replied. It was your videos of the tractor and turkey that pushed me over the edge to get this camera. No regrets, as I'm sure I can get better performance once I figure out how to tweak it.

I am using the intrusion rules, and am currently playing with target size. By default, the min is 0x0 and the max is full screen. I would think this means it will try to follow anything of any size that moves within the rules. So reducing the target sizes would only serve to lessen the sensitivity - if I understand it correctly, no?

Also, with regard to the tracking timeout, have you found a way to get it to follow for more than 10 seconds? It seems that after successfully following a target, if the movement stops for more than 10 seconds, it goes back to the preset value. I was hoping to have it stay longer. Though I suppose if it starts tracking the dust cloud behind a car (rather than the car itself), shorter is better.
Hey.. i think you are correct about box sizes. I also can't get an extended tracking time.. hopefully in a forward update some day

Vogel

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a SD6CE230U-HNI which is probably similar to your model.

Interesting, the direct camera set up with browser is a little bit different than the latest PSS Version. One has to work with both.
I worked on both of them and got it to work very nice and accurate.
It required a lot of work and testing.
Had to tinker around a lot.
A little bit frustrating as there is no real detail info available on PSS or the camera. and how it affects the function of camera.
But it is nice to see the result in how camera zooms in and follows the subject.
The box sizes too have an impact, don't set them too large. I have them a little bit larger than a car and small, that way I can follow the rabbits (lol)
Trip wire / intrusion set up has a big impact. Keep it simple for start and then refine it progressivly

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have a SD6CE230U-HNI which is probably similar to your model.

Interesting, the direct camera set up with browser is a little bit different than the latest PSS Version. One has to work with both.
I worked on both of them and got it to work very nice and accurate.
It required a lot of work and testing.
Had to tinker around a lot.
A little bit frustrating as there is no real detail info available on PSS or the camera. and how it affects the function of camera.
But it is nice to see the result in how camera zooms in and follows the subject.
The box sizes too have an impact, don't set them too large. I have them a little bit larger than a car and small, that way I can follow the rabbits (lol)
Trip wire / intrusion set up has a big impact. Keep it simple for start and then refine it progressivly
@Vogel - I've been using BI exclusively for the last 6+ years, and only recently started playing with Dahua cameras. I'm now downloading PSS to see if the options set will help improve the auto tracking.

That said, do you use PSS as the NVR, or only as a way to configure the camera? I would much prefer to keep using BI.

Vogel

n3wb
Reaction score
I do use BI too, happen to let it run most of the time.
Personally I like BI for recording purposes
only. As it shows a picture of recorded incidence next to camera view.
Easy to delete or save.
Have camera and PC running on separate VLAN isolated from the network.

To manually control camera, PSS is more advanced and has more options concerning tracking
I circle with my mouse the location of interest and the camera zooms right into it with the subject of interest in the middle of screen. No zoom or anything else needed. Fast and always spot on.

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi. I am considering buying a SD59225U-HNI from Andy.
  • Have you had success using it as a critter cam?
  • Have you worked out the AT settings more to your satisfactions (as much as it can be)?
  • Is PSS free software? I run BI. I have two Dahua starlights from Andy, but have not come across this software before. I did not see a download link on the software site.
My use cases are:
  • Tracking people as they walk into the back yard. I have two entrance points.
  • Auto focusing onto the pool when the pool has activity in it.
  • And...as a critter cam (bunnies, bobcats, neighborhood cats, raccoons, possums)
Thank you for your replies.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
  • Have you worked out the AT settings more to your satisfactions (as much as it can be)?
  • Is PSS free software? I run BI. I have two Dahua starlights from Andy, but have not come across this software before. I did not see a download link on the software site.
My use cases are:
  • And...as a critter cam (bunnies, bobcats, neighborhood cats, raccoons, possums)
CameraGuy

I have many videos.. check out all the 59225 ones

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
My use cases are:
Take the plunge

Reaction score
I have never gotten auto tracking to work reliably on any moving object if the camera is too close to it. Only if the object was at a significant distance would it work as it should. One of the best things Dahua could do, is give you an option to regulate (or turn off) the zoom function. Once it zooms in, that's when I run into problems with the tracking on an object close to the camera.