SD5A425XA-HNR

bickford

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you can try to read licence plate day and night (max distance )

You can try for night for face capture theses settings i have very good results with it

1588171211871.png

gansle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I made the payment today with Andy. Hopefully I will receive this camera in a couple of weeks with shipping being the way it is these days. I think he might have one left. Someone else on the board also ordered one.
Hows the ptz working?

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Just fine. It is my best camera as it should be for the money I paid for it. :) I have a PTZ in the back of the house I want to eventually replace, but I want smaller version as it is out in the open and I have to please my wife. So I am waiting for more 4K PTZ cameras to come out with a large sensor and hopefully in a smaller profile. This one I was able to tuck it up under the eave of the house and hide a good portion of it.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Just fine. It is my best camera as it should be for the money I paid for it. :) I have a PTZ in the back of the house I want to eventually replace, but I want smaller version as it is out in the open and I have to please my wife. So I am waiting for more 4K PTZ cameras to come out with a large sensor and hopefully in a smaller profile. This one I was able to tuck it up under the eave of the house and hide a good portion of it.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Item Code: SD5A825-HNR £619.00 +VAT here in the UK but a 6-8 week wait time.

gansle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Will it stay in color mode all night? I just got 1 5442 vari focal. Eventually would lke to get this 4mp 25x to replace a 2mp 30x non starlight.

we7313

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks ljw2k for the setup help.
Had my camera dialed in like a pro in like a half hour.
Saved me a lot of money with all your help.
Much appreciated.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, it will stay in color mode all night. I force the color mode and it works just fine and excellent
Will it stay in color mode all night? I just got 1 5442 vari focal. Eventually would lke to get this 4mp 25x to replace a 2mp 30x non starlight.
I have it forced into color at night. However I have a nice light out front and it helps a lot.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@gansle, as @Parley stated you can force any camera into color at night and this particular cam does very well due to optics and sensor as I mention in my review. The question I often get asked however is 'should you force color for night' and my personal answer is, depends on your install location and specifically, lighting. In about 80%+ of residential installs, cameras should generally NOT be forced into color at night, this is primarily due to lighting not being adequate to enable a fast enough shutter speed to reduce motion blur of the target / object you are trying to capture. Unfortunately a lot of people will lower shutter speed to an incredibly slow value OR worst yet set to AUTO mode (which you should avoid at all costs). As a rule of thumb I guide people that you want a minimum of 1/60 for slow walking / loitering speed, 1/125 for faster walking (someone that doesn't want to hang around) as well as slow vehicles and about 1/250 for moving vehicles. 1/125 is a happy medium if you are expecting a mix of targets in a location. Depending on your needs for the target location (capturing people, vehicles etc) then set those shutter speeds at night (in color first) and look at the resulting image, if too dark to make out details etc then you are way better off in black and white. This camera is exceptional at night (as you may have seen in my review) BUT even it, like most cameras needs lighting :)

Now to expand on options further, I'm a huge advocate (as I know others are including Parley) for covering a given area with multiple cameras and in that case you can always mix up your night captures. For example, 1 fixed cam to capture color details (clothing, vehicle color etc) and a 2nd (could be the PTZ called to preset by PTZ activation from the 1st cam which I highly recommend) to capture important details such as facial attributes, clean, crisp motion of what was going on in the environment etc. If you want to round that setup out completely, you add a third camera (complimenting, not duplicating) for LPR work and boom there is your trifecta for 1 solution of people / vehicle night captures.

Again all depends on your final selection(s) of camera, targets you want to capture, and most importantly install location and lighting but hopefully gives you ideas on how you can integrate this into your overall setup.

Let me know with any questions

HTH