SD6AL245U-HNI laser IR noise

n0xlf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just received a SD6AL245U-HNI (fast shipping as always from Andy!) and was a bit surprised when testing the IR. I'll let the pics speak for themselves, but clearly the laser IR is interacting with objects and/or the sensor in a way that creates a lot noise. The pattern reminds me of what other Dahua cams look like when you turn off the 2D/3D noise reduction in low light. I'll have to do some real world outdoor testing to see if this will even be an issue "in the wild". It doesn't appear to be an issue here (not my camera shown):

No amount of changing any related settings made any difference to the appearance. These tests were at about 15 feet, so that could be related...

IR: IR.jpg

B&W: BW.jpg

Color: Color.jpg

On a side note, I am using this Dahua switch for Hi-PoE - packs a lot of functionality for a ridiculously low price (check with Andy): Accessories/PoE Switches/DH PFL2106 4ET 96 - Dahua Wiki

n0xlf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Happy to report that this is simply a distance issue - The laser IR is just insanely powerful. Even at a distance I can see the noise unless I manually turn down the zoom compensation...

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
Put up some samples of the AL if you get a chance, would love to see some clips of it in action..

n0xlf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Will do - It's going about 160 feet up on a tower so I need to get that installation scheduled...