SDA840VI-HNI vs SDA840WA-HNF

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what the difference is between these two cameras or point me to a place that explains the slight model name differences.

We currently have the SDA840VI-HNI. They want to change out the camera for the SDA840WA-HNF but I would really like to know the differences between the two.

So far the issues with the current camera are as follows.

Loose X axis. There might be adjustments inside the camera to tighten the gears but we are not willing to risk an expensive camera.
Strange artifact in the top left corner of the camera. It is more visible under certain lighting conditions.
Poorly operating wiper. (This is really strange as the wiper material appears to be flexible and the wiper is straight but when it rains the wiper seems to just move water around and not wipe it properly.

The location we have this camera is windy at times and with a 40X optical zoom that loose X-Axis translates in to some really shaky video.

So they want to swap the camera but I would really like to know the differences before hand.

So the positives of this camera.
Incredible video.
We can clearly see things happening a mile away from the camera.
The location of the camera makes the IR part useless but when the moon is out the video is stunning. We can literally make out bushes .7 miles away from the camera. If someone was walking around you would be able to make that out no problem. The starlite is very nice!
We have 2 other camera from Dahua and we like the cameras. The other two are lower quality one is 4K with 20X zoom and the other is 1080P with 20X zoom. Neither camera experience this loose X axis.
We have lets call them camera operators that move the camera under certain conditions and they all like the way this camera moves more than the other two cameras.

At first we thought the camera movement was from the telephone pole it is mounted on. Which I will say I am positive it does cause more issues but it is not the full cause of the camera movement in the wind. That is definitely coming from the X axis being loose.

This is an incredible camera. If it did not have these drawbacks there is no doubt we would use this camera for years to come. I am sure these issues could be worked out and maybe some even adjusted out of the camera but when you are talking about $1000+ camera you should not have to do these things yourself.

For those interested in seeing the X axis looseness I will attach a video file (if I am able to here)

If you want to see it on youtube live simply search for Tehachapi Live Trains in youtube and look for the Tehachapi Live Loop Cam to see this camera in action.

Attachments

Last edited:

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i've been asking for a break down for the new model numbers and i can't find anything current. I literally had to compare spec sheets for 5 minutes to learn that "M" means metal housing while the non M is mixed plastic/metal. If someone finds a current breakdown of HNI, HNF, XA, WA, etc please post here and/or start a new thread.