SDD

Reaction score
Good morning/Afternoon guys. I have a question: I have a customer that I’ll be installing a Dahua NVR with a few Dahua IP cameras for. However, he is adamant on having an SSD instead of the HDD. Is there a suitable SDD (3 terabyte) for a Dahua NVR? Everything I search online the SDD either looks like it isn’t compatible or it wouldn’t fit in the hard drive bay on the NVR. I’ve never had a customer request this before.

Jayordon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
SSD's aren't optimal for NVR's. An NVR will constantly be writing data to the drive and SSD's have a limited amount of data that they can write before failing. A hard drive will last much longer in an NVR. A HDD is also much cheaper and typically have more storage. The only upside an SSD will have is faster speed, but that's somewhat irrelevant in an NVR when a HDD is still fast enough.

Regardless, if the client must have an SSD, make sure it is designed for a NAS so it will last longer. And do not purchase an m.2 SSD. it will not fit in the NVR. It must be a 2.5" sata SSD

Reaction score
SSD's aren't optimal for NVR's. An NVR will constantly be writing data to the drive and SSD's have a limited amount of data that they can write before failing. A hard drive will last much longer in an NVR. A HDD is also much cheaper and typically have more storage. The only upside an SSD will have is faster speed, but that's somewhat irrelevant in an NVR when a HDD is still fast enough.

Regardless, if the client must have an SSD, make sure it is designed for a NAS so it will last longer. And do not purchase an m.2 SSD. it will not fit in the NVR. It must be a 2.5" sata SSD
Thanks a lot. Yeah, I explained everything you’ve mentioned to him and he’s just so adamant

Jayordon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm not sure that a 2.5" SSD will fit in the drive bay, but you should be able to find a way to keep it in place. You don't have to worry about vibrations ruining it or anything like that. So even sticking it onto the case with double sided sticky foam would be fine.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

+1^^.
Curious about the insistence for the SSD in a NVR..... I wonder if he hopes it'll run quieter. It may but it's also possible that there's a fan making any objectionable noise.

Although the 2.5" to 3.5" adapters are cheap, I would agree that double-sided foam tape would be just fine in a NVR, especially if horizontally mounted.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
+1^^.
Curious about the insistence for the SSD in a NVR..... I wonder if he hopes it'll run quieter. It may but it's also possible that there's a fan making any objectionable noise.

Although the 2.5" to 3.5" adapters are cheap, I would agree that double-sided foam tape would be just fine in a NVR, especially if horizontally mounted.
Yeah, I’ve educated him on why he’ll be just fine with a normal HDD and he’s essentially ignoring all of that and he’s still insisting on the SSD over the HDD. It’s strange. He doesn’t even really seem to have any reputable knowledge, he just knows SSDs are a “newer” technology and THATS what he wants.

Reaction score

Samsung Electronics 870 EVO 2TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-77E2T0B/AM)

would this work?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

would this work?
They're great SSD's...I've bought and installed 6 of those in 500GB, 2 in 250GB and 3 of the 860's in about 2 years now, all for Win 10 fresh installs.
Turned a Walmart HP All-in-One with a less than 2 GHz Celeron and 4GB RAM into a rocket ship...best money spent, dollar for dollar IMO...better than more RAM when there's an anemic CPU / low RAM combo involved.