Secondary router causing some complications

Reaction score
The VPN allows you to access your home LAN just as if you are locally logged in while being outside your LAN. So for it to work, you need to run the VPN on the router that acts as the first point of entry to your LAN from the internet.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Is there any chance you can get down to only 1 router? Trying to set up your VPN is going to be more complicated with your ISP router in-line.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Trying to set up your VPN is going to be more complicated with your ISP router in-line
From what I understand - it's just being used as a WiFi access point. But with the network configured to be on a different address range than the main LAN.
So if it was reconfigured, as suggested, to have an IP address on the main LAN, it drops out of the picture as far as any VPN complications apply.
And all cameras, LAN or WiFi, are equally accessible.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
From what I understand - it's just being used as a WiFi access point. But with the network configured to be on a different address range than the main LAN.
So if it was reconfigured, as suggested, to have an IP address on the main LAN, it drops out of the picture as far as any VPN complications apply.
And all cameras, LAN or WiFi, are equally accessible.
That would work, if they are on the same Layer-2 network. I was assuming the and router was being "uplinked" via the WAN port to the other ISP router.