Securing Hikvision NVR and IP Cameras

abefroman

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi

I recently bought and setup my new Hikvision NVR and IP cameras:

NVR - DS-7616NI-M2/16P

IP cameras - x3 DS-2CD2347G2H-LIU and x1 DS-2DE4A225IWG-E PTZ

I was wondering what suggestions you guys have to make sure that my NVR & cameras are secure and not vulnerable to hacking or 'phoning home'.

I'm not very knowledgeable about networking, I have more knowledge about the hardware than the software.

This hikvision system is used on a residential property so privacy is very important to me.

Currently the cameras are plugged directly into the Poe ports that are built into the NVR and a cat 6 cable is running directly from the uplink port to my router.

So far all I have done is tweaked the image settings, installed 2 WD purple drives and connected the NVR to my hikconnect account, it has been running like this for a few weeks.

Previously when looking into securing a hikvision system I've heard people recommend removing internet access from the NVR or setting it up on a separate network or vlan.

I don't have any advanced home networking setup at the moment and I'm using the router that was provided to me by my isp.

Viewing and controlling the cameras remotely via hikconnect is very important to me so please do take that into consideration when suggesting ideas to secure the system as I would still need access outside of my home/Lan.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score