Security Camera Load on Network

CoeTech01

n3wb
Reaction score
Nvr with a POE switch is the way to go. Nvr's provide it's own bandwidth to cover the cameras with little to no effect on you network. Unless you start changes settings. I suggest running Cat 6 for your internet on the NVR and switch(faster communication) and Cat 5e to your cams will be just fine. I would go with 4k cams in HD and trust me you'll love the clearity. I got my system on a mesh network and hardly no delays or pauses at all.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

brianegge

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you look at the time from introduction to standard adoption it was a few years for 100Mb and 1Gb adaptors. But 10G over Ethernet had been available for a decade and few devices sport more than 1Gb. Cameras still use 100Mb. I think this is because for most applications 1Gb is plenty. Eventually, I’m sure we’ll get to 10Gb default. I run Cat6 mostly, and occasionally run two cables and setup LAG.
I’d rather spend money on a 1Gb managed switch than 10Gb unmanaged.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
NVRs do have bandwidth limits since they use their own processors, usually on a Linux based system. This can get problematic as cameras improve and 4K becomes the "standard". There are multiple threads here discussing problems with NVRs not working after installing new, 4K, cameras or not being able to use AI functions on more than one or two. When using an NVR you need to make sure you over buy in the bandwidth area. A PC running BI doesn't have any problems with processor bandwidth especially now that sub streams can be used for motion detection. Yes, BI won't work with all the AI functions of every camera but makes up for that by being much more flexible and feature rich.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Running cat5 from the NVR will be fine. The second switch if not needed unless you do not want to run separate cables.
I prefer running all the way to the NVR so it's easier to add a UPS if you have power problems.
There is no reason for 10G, unless your name is Tim Allen, and you need to show everyone else "More Power!"
I have 26 cameras mixed from 1.3M up to 3ea (4k)8M on a 1G connection. Works fine.

Start out with a 4M camera like the 5442 dahua you see all around this forum, and go from there.

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Cat5e is cheap and easy to terminate, and some NICs will run 2.5GBaseT or 5GBaseT over Cat5e.

10GBaseT is specified to run 100m over Cat6a or 55m over Cat6, so that can provide a lot of future-proofing without a lot of additional cost. 10GBaseT may also run over Cat5e at shorter distances, even if the standard doesn't say it will. The NIC doesn't "know" what kind of cable it's running over; it just attempts a set of transmission rates that either succeeds or fails, and then it chooses the fastest one that works.

Cat6/6a termination is much more difficult than Cat5e, due to the shielding foils., but keep in mind also that you can terminate Cat6/6a cable with Cat5e terminations, and then re-terminate later if you need to.

And finally, if you run your cable without any sharp bends or staples, you can use your old cable as the pull string for new cable.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
When pulling cable for GE Healthcare, we were sometimes asked to pull a Spare or two for future scalability. Usually on Closet to Closet or Closet to Nurses station runs.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
So for all you network Guru's, where does the data cable carrying 4 camera's worth of data packets across the house terminate to? Right to 1 port of the PoE Nvr? Do built in POE switches on NVR's handle Cameras this way? I haven't done it before.

brianegge

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So for all you network Guru's, where does the data cable carrying 4 camera's worth of data packets across the house terminate to? Right to 1 port of the PoE Nvr? Do built in POE switches on NVR's handle Cameras this way? I haven't done it before.
The PoE ports on the NVR can only have one camera attached to each port. Think of it almost like an analog system. The cable with the other four cameras will plug into the switch closest to the NVR. The four from the network will be added as network devices, and the ones on the PoE ports will add themselves.

An example below - the first two cameras are directly attached, and you can see the PoE port they are attached to. The second two are on the LAN.

Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 8.32.52 PM.png

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The PoE ports on the NVR can only have one camera attached to each port. Think of it almost like an analog system. The cable with the other four cameras will plug into the switch closest to the NVR. The four from the network will be added as network devices, and the ones on the PoE ports will add themselves.
The POE ports on the NVR can only power one camera per port, but if there are 4 cameras behind a POE switch at the opposite end, then you should be able to plug the cable from the POE switch into any port on the NVR. All of your remote cameras will be sharing the bandwidth of 1 port on your NVR, but that won't matter today if 1) you only have 4 cameras on the other end or 2) the NVR has gigabit ports.

brianegge

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
then you should be able to plug the cable from the POE switch into any port on the NVR.
I would be interested if anyone has successfully got this to work. I’ve configured Dahua, Amcrest and Lorex NVRs, and the channel assigned to the camera is the port it’s plugged into and two cameras can’t share a channel or port. Maybe newer firmware allows for this kind of setup.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You won't see anything close to a gigabit with four cameras. Maybe, maybe, 20 megabits unless they're all 4MP or 8MP. Even then, around 50 to 75 megabits.

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would be interested if anyone has successfully got this to work. I’ve configured Dahua, Amcrest and Lorex NVRs, and the channel assigned to the camera is the port it’s plugged into and two cameras can’t share a channel or port. Maybe newer firmware allows for this kind of setup.
I stand corrected. I checked the Costco/Lorex NVR at my ex's place today, and the POE switch is connected to the LAN port on the NVR, not to one of the POE ports. Sorry for the mistake.