Security cameras across wifi.

saltfish

n3wb
Reaction score
I need to add a couple cameras remotely from my main house. Distance is approx. 600-800 ft. Really don't want to trench in cable at this point, but maybe in future. Have power at remote location. Should i try exterior wifi access point on house? If so what would the wifi equipment setup look like at remote point? Wireless network bridge to remote areas?
Mainly use Empire Tech cameras currently.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A little more info on the above schema and why it works better than "Wi-Fi".

When properly configured, the radios communicate with each other using proprietary protocol and a frequency width that optimizes throughput, increases range and minimizes interference.

Your everyday 2.4GHz and 5Ghz wireless routers and access points do not utilize such methods because of lack of compatibility with laptops, smartphones, TV's, IoT devices, etc.

Other vendors of such radios (TP-LINK, Engenius, MikroTik, Cambium and many, many more) offer similar radios with competitive performance and prices that also use proprietary protocol for the same reasons as the Ubiquiti and primarily in PtP Layer 2 Transparent Bridge or PtMP (Point to Multi-point) scenarios. I use Ubiquiti because they have been very dependable and affordable.

I know that most of the Ubiquiti radios can be re-configured to also be compatible with the aforementioned laptops, smartphones, TV's, IoT devices, etc. but the performance and integrity of the wireless bridge would be degraded. Besides, one can install a wireless access point or a wireless router configured to "AP" mode (static IP, DHCP disabled) at the station (remote) end to provide compatible "Wi-Fi" for those laptops, smartphones, TV's, IoT devices, etc.

saltfish

n3wb
Reaction score
Tony,
Thanks for the great info. I do like the idea of wireless bridge. I could also use for gate control. Have another property with an Ubiquiti equipment so that is the route i think i will go.