Security of NVR & Network

skjom

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was reading that criminals have started to cut Ethernet cables when robbing a house, this also got me thinking, what's stopping them cutting cable and finding NVR and destroying it.

Do people hide their NVRs and even so the more you try to hide it the more obvious it becomes. What are other options , backup to cloud ?

So you have local NVR and maybe send a couple of stills to cloud. 5G backup for router.

So if someone did rob your house and took down main router and network, there is a 5G backup, sending notifications.

I guess cameras are a deterrent and there should be other measures like an angry dog , alarms , floodlights etc

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The bandwidth to send to the cloud would be cost prohibitive. Plus the compression that would have to occur to make it even feasible would make it useless.

My cameras are on their own isolated network that does not touch the router or the internet. My cameras are streaming between 280Mbps to 350Mbps depending on motion. This is full-on, never stopping to take a breath. Even if someone has a gigabit internet, a 3rd of its capacity for non-buffering 24/7 data will impact its speed. Your ISP will be alarmed as well and will end up throttling you.

People will say stuff like "we stream 5 TVs with no problem". Yeah that is because streaming services like Netflix and others buffer the video. It may buffer 15 seconds to a minute or more of video. This allows it to send some video, pause to let something else on the network use the internet, send some more video, and repeat process.

These cameras do not buffer and all full-on nonstop. Pull the internet cable and the surveillance camera stops instantly. Pull the internet cable while watching Netflix and you may get an additional minute of watching the video.

Stills is an option as are putting SD cards in the cameras.

But at the end of the day, unless your NVR is out in the open with a sign saying "Your face is residing in video in this device so you should take this", most criminals are not going to seek it out, if they even saw the cameras to begin with. They are about smash and grab. Unless you posted to Facebook that you are out of town for 3 weeks and they thus know your house is vacant for weeks, they want to be in and out.

Some people here have multiple going. One is the obvious one and the other is hidden in a closet or somewhere else.

skjom

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The bandwidth to send to the cloud would be cost prohibitive. Plus the compression that would have to occur to make it even feasible would make it useless.

My cameras are on their own isolated network that does not touch the router or the internet. My cameras are streaming between 280Mbps to 350Mbps depending on motion. This is full-on, never stopping to take a breath. Even if someone has a gigabit internet, a 3rd of its capacity for non-buffering 24/7 data will impact its speed. Your ISP will be alarmed as well and will end up throttling you.

People will say stuff like "we stream 5 TVs with no problem". Yeah that is because streaming services like Netflix and others buffer the video. It may buffer 15 seconds to a minute or more of video. This allows it to send some video, pause to let something else on the network use the internet, send some more video, and repeat process.

These cameras do not buffer and all full-on nonstop. Pull the internet cable and the surveillance camera stops instantly. Pull the internet cable while watching Netflix and you may get an additional minute of watching the video.

Stills is an option as are putting SD cards in the cameras.

But at the end of the day, unless your NVR is out in the open with a sign saying "Your face is residing in video in this device so you should take this", most criminals are not going to seek it out, if they even saw the cameras to begin with. They are about smash and grab. Unless you posted to Facebook that you are out of town for 3 weeks and they thus know your house is vacant for weeks, they want to be in and out.

Some people here have multiple going. One is the obvious one and the other is hidden in a closet or somewhere else.
Curious on their own isolated network that do not touch router or Internet an o you access remotely at all so? Or use a VPN. I'm guessing no.

Also I've considered isolated network but , one common use case is wife wants to access cameras via tinycam on phone and not have to switch on a VPN to do so. - I'm wondering how that can be handled. An explicit rule on router maybe.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Curious on their own isolated network that do not touch router or Internet an o you access remotely at all so? Or use a VPN. I'm guessing no.

Also I've considered isolated network but , one common use case is wife wants to access cameras via tinycam on phone and not have to switch on a VPN to do so. - I'm wondering how that can be handled. An explicit rule on router maybe.
I use a VPN.

And a VPN can be very wife friendly. It is simply tapping the VPN app, waiting a few seconds, then opening the app to see the cameras. After a few days it is second nature and not a big deal.

Or you set it up to be on VPN whenever not at home and then it is just tap on the camera app and on she is. Many here do that and report no significant slow downs.

An explicit rule on the router does not prevent someone from exploiting a backdoor of the camera and then pushing malicious code from the camera.