Security question

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Be aware that in Asus routers there's a "save" function when making changes like this that reboots the router WITH the changes. It may be off screen so scroll down a bit. If you change it, don't "save" the change and just reboot the setting will not change from the original setting.
Actually in my firmware it's "apply", not save.

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Try this:
  • Phone WiFi disabled (or however otherwise you're accessing it remotely disconnected from local network)
  • VPN on
  • In browser, try connecting to the local IP of the NVR and port. e.g., 192.168.1.10:80
I did the all the above. In fact was at a remote location outside my LAN. Browser would still connect to NVR.

As to you earlier questions: No Port Forwarding List and Port Forwarding is turned OFF.

The services you mention under Administration are all turned off.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I did the all the above. In fact was at a remote location outside my LAN. Browser would still connect to NVR.
OK, so that rules out some P2P-type connection that might exist using the app. Even if turned off in some Dahua cams, I've seen some still reach out to make a connection.

As to you earlier questions: No Port Forwarding List and Port Forwarding is turned OFF.
OK, just wanted to make sure nothing showing there even with forwarding and UPnP turned off.

The services you mention under Administration are all turned off.
Good. Don't need to leave on and are common things that are attacked from outside.

Not sure why/how it's working but as long as you can't get to anything without the VPN running, then probably OK from the outside.

As far as from the inside out, is the NVR still able to pull time from an external NTP server? Do you have, as on the cams, a selection to check for an available firmware update under Upgrade, Manual Check? Don't need to do an update, but the check will tell you if the NVR can get out to their server to check.

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As far as from the inside out, is the NVR still able to pull time from an external NTP server? Do you have, as on the cams, a selection to check for an available firmware update under Upgrade, Manual Check? Don't need to do an update, but the check will tell you if the NVR can get out to their server to check.
I'm not pulling time from NTP server. Using "manual time sync" on Hikvision cameras. Seems to work OK.

No provision for checking for firmware update.