Security System / Camera Setup Recommendations?

epcjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a friend who had her house broken into a few weeks ago, and she now looking for some security options with no monthly fee.

Another friend sent her a system where you can monitor with your iphone/android - https://getpiper.com. The marketing does make the system sound simple which is what my friend likes. However, the 720p cameras are a pita, and I highly doubt these can be mounted outside.

Anyone have experience with this?

I recommended her to get Hikvision cameras + DSC/Honeywell Panel + Accessories + Eyez-On Module.

Any other options would be greatly appreciated

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a friend who had her house broken into a few weeks ago, and she now looking for some security options with no monthly fee.

Another friend sent her a system where you can monitor with your iphone/android - https://getpiper.com. The marketing does make the system sound simple which is what my friend likes. However, the 720p cameras are a pita, and I highly doubt these can be mounted outside.

Anyone have experience with this?

I recommended her to get Hikvision cameras + DSC/Honeywell Panel + Accessories + Eyez-On Module.

Any other options would be greatly appreciated
Haven't used piper, but it's intended for indoor use only. It's fairly limited compared to a "real" alarm.

I would go for Dahua or Hik cameras + DSC & EyezOn. DSC is simpler to operate all you do is punch in your code to arm or disarm. If you leave motions are active if you don't it arms stay. Make sure to include things like glass break sensors. Ebay often has some of the best prices on new alarm parts unless you have access to ADI.

Before you do an alarm, make sure the basics have been covered: lighting, pruning, locks, window security / window films, etc.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would recommend an monitored alarm. Self monitoring only delays the entire process and the activated alarm has to be verified before dispatch.

epcjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would recommend an monitored alarm. Self monitoring only delays the entire process and the activated alarm has to be verified before dispatch.
From experience, monitored dispatch won't send anyone until they can get a hold of the owner/emergency contacts. I guess a telephone call is better than a notification.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yep that's why I stated. They will only dispatch help with verification of an actual event. Other the call priority instantly goes to the bottom.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
a monitored alarm will try to call owners first to make sure its not a false alarm, if they get no response they will dispatch a response from LEO.. the problem is the response time from LEO via Alarm Monitoring companies is dismally slow.. its lowest priority, odds are the'll come check it out eventually.. but not fast enough to actually catch someone in the act, especially if its a remote location.

If you see someone is in your house and call the police directly, they will respond with force immediately.. and this is the reaction most people want.. but what do you do if your out of mobile service or your phone battery is flat? well you need to fall back on a monitored service.. If you have no monitoring then remind your self that watching one more cat video on your phone might compromise your security if you dont make it to a charger in time.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This is where video verification comes into play via your alarm company. One camera internally tied into your panel covers this problem.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Response times vary widely once monitoring calls dispatch, but so do self monitoring response times (plenty of times when you can't monitor 24/7).

Commercial and hold up alarm signals are much higher priority, but residential response times can be as fast as 2-3 min if there's a leo nearby. I was in a t-mobile store one time when the salesman's 3-4 year old son was in the store running around playing with things and tripped the holdup alarm (which was falling off the wall... adt quality). Cops were there in 90 seconds.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
well thats kinda the point of a holdup alarm.. and most high density business areas always have a LEO nearby, thats where the most money is concentrated.. hit that holdup alarm at 2am out of a 711 in a residential area, and watch em show up in 5-10mins.

Security is all about layers, the best solution always has multiple layers and can operate independently if another layer fails.. LEO response is a layer that can fail, and never tested until the time comes.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My advice to customers if they can afford it, is to add one good quality interior camera tied into the alarm system so that the monitoring station can see live and listen in if there is actually a perp in the residence.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My advice to customers if they can afford it, is to add one good quality interior camera tied into the alarm system so that the monitoring station can see live and listen in if there is actually a perp in the residence.
imho audio is usually enough for the monitoring station and they usually don't charge extra for it. I'd rather have control / access of the cams all to myself.

Verification and false alarm policies very widely by location.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
imho audio is usually enough for the monitoring station and they usually don't charge extra for it. I'd rather have control / access of the cams all to myself.

Verification and false alarm policies very widely by location.
I only use 2GIG products for my company. Two way audio is a product on the monitoring station side of things. Even to this day, not all monitoring centers have this feature so ensure you double check with whomever your monitoring company is. Tangent I understand what you mean only you accessing your camera or cameras.