See current frame rate and gain within a set range

lane777smith

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On a Amcrest 1179 with the exposure set to a range for the shutter speed and gain, is there any way to see what the current shutter speed and gain the camera is using within that range?

Last edited:

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Using the cam's UI, check it's LOG. Unsure if it will show ^^^, but worth a try.
Was also able to find Amcrest API - attached.

Attachments

Last edited:

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In Tinycam android app camera Live View, push Info icon twice and you will see the camera's current fps and KB/s in realtime.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
By frame rate, I think he meant shutter speed not FPS and bitrate.

I believe he is asking for what number is the shutter speed and what number is the gain for a particular scene if you have put a range in for shutter and gain.

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I believe slow shutter speeds can influence FPS and may be of interest to OP.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You set the FPS in the camera and it doesn't change based on the other parameters.

It is only on cheap cloud-based and other consumer crap cameras (like Reolink) that FPS will change based on conditions.

Look how many of us use Blue Iris with a KEY of 1.00 which means the FPS and iframes are the same number. It is only the cheap cameras where we see FPS dancing around.

lane777smith

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
By frame rate, I think he meant shutter speed not FPS and bitrate.

I believe he is asking for what number is the shutter speed and what number is the gain for a particular scene if you have put a range in for shutter and gain.
My apologies for the confusion. Yes, I meant current shutter speed and gain, not frame rate.

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You set the FPS in the camera and it doesn't change based on the other parameters.

It is only on cheap cloud-based and other consumer crap cameras (like Reolink) that FPS will change based on conditions.

Look how many of us use Blue Iris with a KEY of 1.00 which means the FPS and iframes are the same number. It is only the cheap cameras where we see FPS dancing around.
Assuming a camera is set to 15 FPS, if shutter speed is changed to 1/3 sec, Tinycam reports 3 FPS for the camera. I just tested it. Maybe this is really just an academic exercise... :)

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
After looking at the spec sheet, while this camera appears to be a Dahua OEM, it is a 5MP camera on a 1/2.7" sensor which removes it from the optimal sensor/MP ratio range. It also might indicate that the firmware has been "played with" to provide acceptable low light video, IE slowing exposure, and that can also include frame and bit rates. I can say that all the authentic Dahua and the two non-Dahua cameras I have all maintain frame, iframe and bit rates under full daylight and at night. The only exceptions are the VTO and the DB1C which drop the iframe and bit rates depending on lighting.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Keep in mind that apps do process and do different things in order to stream to the mobile device effectively...

If I open up BI on my mobile device it is displaying at 5FPS but I can confirm in the console and the camera that the camera is sending out 15FPS.

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@wittaj @sebastiantombs
OK, I tested more and Tinycam seems to have multiple problems. I rarely use it but remembered that FPS reporting thing.

Thanks for setting me straight about FPS.