Self Monitored System w/cell text messages?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Actually most of their systems use hardwired phone lines with back up cell.

I do not pay for monitoring on my own stuff. I have a cam with alerts, BUT.. it is not that dependable.. Not near as dependable as hardwired alarm with cel backup. Like the OP I am interested in personal monitoring with DIY cel alert, I just haven't seen the technology that is dependable yet.

That's it right there, their is no money in that for them, so they haven't developed it.

You can include backup cell in your own system, you can have a cheap cell hot spot. If you have decent internet the land line is not needed. Camera motion isn't super dependable but if you can get PIR, door and window sensors etc. it will be the same kind of stuff they would put into your house, you can then not worry about doing motion with the cameras. You can set up anything just as good and most likely better than anything you will pay for from a company, and avoid the markup and installer fees lol. You may need some forum help or a buddy that knows enough to help though.

pixel

n3wb
Reaction score
You can include backup cell in your own system, you can have a cheap cell hot spot. If you have decent internet the land line is not needed. Camera motion isn't super dependable but if you can get PIR, door and window sensors etc. it will be the same kind of stuff they would put into your house, you can then not worry about doing motion with the cameras. You can set up anything just as good and most likely better than anything you will pay for from a company, and avoid the markup and installer fees lol. You may need some forum help or a buddy that knows enough to help though.
All the back up cell devices I have installed in alarm systems were made to call and talk the computer at the monitoring stations.

Do you know of any that can be configured to call a person cell number and relay an alert ?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You've described exactly what I'm looking for.

I want all self-monitoring of my alarm system with calls, text, and email notifications to my cellphone.
  • No Monitoring fees
  • No Central Monitoring
  • Push notifications
  • App enabled keypad and operation
  • Ditch my landline
As it turns out, I'm already self-monitoring my video cameras, so why can't I self-monitor my alarm system in the same way? Right now I'm stuck with paying a monthly fee to a company providing monitoring service for my alarm system.

IMO, there's no reason why alarm manufacturers can't build systems for self-monitoring like my NVR. What I've heard is that alarm service providers (like ADT) know they would soon go out of business if they lose the revenue they get from central monitoring. Thus, manufacturers are siding with the providers.

P.S., Wireless alarm systems are not acceptable. It must be a hard-wired system.
It's internet monitored not cellular but the easiest option is the EnvisiaLink EVL-4 and a honeywell or dsc alarm panel.
EnvisaLink 4 – Control Your DSC & Honeywell Security System From Your Smart Phone | EyezOn
EVL-4 - Envisalink 4 Internet Alert Module for DSC & Honeywell

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All the back up cell devices I have installed in alarm systems were made to call and talk the computer at the monitoring stations.

Do you know of any that can be configured to call a person cell number and relay an alert ?
The GE Simon XT or newer can do it over a land line I think it works over the cellular module too.

Most of the options out there lock you into their platform, iotw the honeywell communicator works with honeywell panels and ONLY talks to honeywell's servers this way they get a chunk of the monthly monitoring costs.

The UTC UltraSync has potential but I don't think you can self monitor without a fee (some monitoring setups charge you a fee for self monitoring).
UltraSync Self-contained Hub | UltraSync | Home Security Management | Interlogix Global Security Products

drew91101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's internet monitored not cellular but the easiest option is the EnvisiaLink EVL-4 and a honeywell or dsc alarm panel.
EnvisaLink 4 – Control Your DSC & Honeywell Security System From Your Smart Phone | EyezOn
+1 here. I have a honeywell vista 20p with the EVL-4 and its great. The only down side is it is internet based. I have my modem, router, and NVR on a UPS so theoretically, I would have internet on a power failure (short of cutting the cable line coming into my house.

My router (Synology rt1900ac) can use a usb broadband dongle as backup if I lose internet connection. Might be something to look into

pixel

n3wb
Reaction score
This looks promising and works with Honeywell Vista - I would try it but I am in a rental and have my 2-Gig set up.

A couple Homemade DIY- The technology is simple, just seems unprofitable for companies to manufacture it.

Homemade "Alarmino"
Lior's projects

Homemade "arduino"
Upgrading Your Alarm System With an Arduino

Spend all your money on crack ? Don't worry you just need a burner phone.
$10 DIY Alarm System That Calls Your Cellphone | Home Security Systems

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score

A cell hot spot can do anything you want, it's just a cell data connection.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
What I wanna know is, will a monitoring company monitor something you set up yourself?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What I wanna know is, will a monitoring company monitor something you set up yourself?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Some will, the ones that do usually even help you set it up.
Options include alarmrelay and geoarm among others. You could also try getting in touch with @blake

Of course they all have policies that would force you to fix problems that are wasting their time & resources or they'd drop you as a customer.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
local alarm permit requirements can complicate self installs and even self monitoring.