Sell Custom Lengths of Cat 6?

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does anyone here on the forum make up custom lengths of Cat 6 and sell... I don't feel qualified/capable enough to buy bulk cable and put the ends on? The ones I'm currently using are pre-made lengths from eBay and while the Cat 6 cable is fine (besides it being too stiff) the ends are pretty cheap... I'd prefer not to go that route again.

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I guess you're both talking about me trying to make my own but I don't want to spend $200 or so on bulk cable when I only need a 35 ft run or at the most a 100 ft bulk spool for extra.

SecuritySeeker

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I guess you're both talking about me trying to make my own but I don't want to spend $200 or so on bulk cable when I only need a 35 ft run or at the most a 100 ft bulk spool for extra.
You don't have to get an entire spool, you can buy bulk cable per meter/yard.

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok I didn't know that but like I said I really don't know exactly what I need for an outdoor cable or and guess I don't see how to order bulk cable per yard at CableWholesale. Kind of why I just went the premade cables the first time so I didn't have to figure this all out.

So at CableWholesale what exactly would I need?

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ok I didn't know that but like I said I really don't know exactly what I need for an outdoor cable or and guess I don't see how to order bulk cable per yard at CableWholesale. Kind of why I just went the premade cables the first time so I didn't have to figure this all out.

CableWholesale has bulk and all types of premade CAT cables - explore the link.

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yep what I've been doing for the last 15 minutes and I only see two options for outdoor Cat 6 Part # 10X8-622NH & Part # 10X8-722NH and don't see a way to order by the foot. Also the pre-made Cat cables all appear to me to be indoor cables.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
What are you looking to use it for? You said outdoor... will it be in conduit? above ground? direct burial?

SecuritySeeker

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It's quite possible that a website called CableWholesale only sells per spool (although a name like that doesn't have to mean anything). You're in the USA so I'll leave it to your fellow countrymen to recommend a decent supplier that sells by the foot, I only know the ones in the Netherlands that I usually order from.

I think OICU2 will be able to point you to what you need, just be sure to let him (and others reading along) know exactly what you need it for. If you don't know whether you need it to be run in conduit or if it needs to be direct burial or not just describe the application and environment as well as you can. The advice you're going to get is only going to be as good as the information you provide.

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yep what I've been doing for the last 15 minutes and I only see two options for outdoor Cat 6 Part # 10X8-622NH & Part # 10X8-722NH and don't see a way to order by the foot. Also the pre-made Cat cables all appear to me to be indoor cables.
Look here

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Cable Matters has been recommend along the way too too-

30' Cat 6

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok to answer everyone’s question I’m needing Cat 6 Cable to run under the eaves of my house. I have several Dahua cams mounted under the eaves of my house and I just had to replace one of my HDW5231R-ZE’s with a 3241T-ZAS. I’ve had issues with the 3241T-ZAS ever since I got it and Andy thinks it could be the cable so he wants me to try a different one. Before I mounted it outside I had it connected inside for a week with a patch cord and it was fine just so trying to troubleshoot... haven’t tried to reset it yet.

The pre-made Cat 6 cables I bought on eBay maybe three years ago I think might be shielded because it’s so inflexible which I don’t really like. Anyway that’s why I posted about needing some Cat 6 outdoor cable.

Yes I’m using PoE.

How about something like this would it work? Monoprice Cat6 Ethernet Bulk Cable - Solid, 550MHz, UTP, CMR, Riser-Rated, Pure Bare Copper Wire, 23AWG, 500ft, Black, (UL)(TAA) - Monoprice.com

SecuritySeeker

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So you'll need regular 'outdoor' rated cable, not (direct) burial. I'm guessing you won't have to run it in conduit either, unless you have critters there that like chewing up cables.

If the eBay cables you have are shielded they should have RJ-45 connectors with metal on the outside. Note that Cat 6 is stiffer than Cat 5 due to the plastic seperator inside which helps prevent internal crosstalk. If you're only going to be using the cable for cams (one cam per cable) you don't really need Cat 6, you could use Cat 5 instead.

Whether you get Cat 5 or Cat 6 be sure to get pure copper (not CCA = Copper Clad Aluminium) and I would get AWG23 or AWG24 (the link from Shockwave199 is pure copper AWG24 so that's fine; actually it's not because it doesn't seem to be outdoor rated).

Last edited:

SecuritySeeker

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This is a shop in the Netherlands so of no direct use to you but here's an example of an outdoor cable:

Not recommended for direct burial (you could but it would be better to run in conduit if burried) but definitely suitable for outdoor.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Honestly if it will be out of sunlight and physically protected from the weather, above your soffit, you could probably use a regular CAT6 patch cable at the length you need. All my cables are normal riser and/or plenum CAT6 since 2009 and no issues yet. They are all protected from the weather and run above my vented soffit in the eaves.

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well my cables run below my soffit just under the eaves so yeah they probably get sunlight just not direct sunlight but would pretty much be out of the weather though. Actually the more I think about it there is a section of the cable that would be exposed to sunlight and the weather. Do you think a 35 ft patch cord is still an option for me considering what I just said and that I'm using PoE?

Or maybe try to find bulk CAT5e outdoor cable what do you think would this work? Actually I just read on their website that CAT5e bulk cable is not rated for outdoor use is that true?

Last edited:

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah looks similar to what I already have the cable seems fine but they use the cheapest light plastic connectors was kind of wanting to get away from that but maybe have no other choice. That stuff is just so stiff and unflexible too don’t know if it has more to do with CAT6 or it being shielded.

Isn’t there an outdoor CAT5 or CAT6 cable that’s flexible?

Last edited: