Selling house and need to swap in cheap cams

RUMBLESTRIP

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am looking at putting my house on the market in the next month and I'd like to swap out my cams for cheap cams to fill the holes since the system won't function anyways. Any idea what I should look for in cheap poe cams? I want them to actually somewhat work and not be a total scam. Most of them are 5442 fixed and a few ZE's. Any thoughts?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I installed 4 of these for a client. He had four 720p Zmodo's that were sPOE (19 VDC,). These are 2MP bullets with built-in mic, 1080P, 802.3af/at POE, made by Raysharp. Bought a TP-LINK 5 port POE switch, streaming to Blue Iris. He likes them a lot. Only $56 each at Nelly's ==>> 1080p (2MP) Bullet IP POE Security Camera W/ 2.8mm Lens, IP66 Weatherproof, 100' Night Vision, M2B

There's a 5MP turret for $70 ==>> R-Series 5MP Weatherproof Turret IP Security Camera with a 2.8mm Fixed Lens and a Built-In Microphone -- White (M5T)

There's a 2MP turret also for $56 but not sure if it has a mic ==>> 1080p (2MP) Turret Dome IP POE Security Camera W/ 2.8mm Lens | IP66 Weatherproof | 100' Night Vision | M2T

Delivery is very quick, too.

RUMBLESTRIP

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Maybe I will look at Walmart or something. All of the cams mentioned here seem like moderately decent cams and aren't what I would call cheap.

RUMBLESTRIP

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
FYI, my 2 worst cams are 2831tm-as from Andy for $59, and they have exceeded my expectations for interior use.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Yeap, if not care too much about the working, then buy some junk on somewhere, and put on the wall, no need to cost more money on it.

RUMBLESTRIP

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yeap, if not care too much about the working, then buy some junk on somewhere, and put on the wall, no need to cost more money on it.
I'm genuinely not familiar with where to buy some junk. This was my question to begin with, and my only real concern is that the footprint of the new cam covers the old ones. Even then I could probably just fill the exterior holes with color matched caulking and remove the cams all together.

MrRobinHood

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Why bother replacing them with an inferior product that may be useless to the new homeowner and need to be replaced again anyway?

Either get a price together for the new home owner and say you have a good quality system you can leave in place for $x extra. If not, all the cams will be removed, but cable infrastructure left in place for them to pick out their own system.

Then remove all the cams and fit Wiska electrical boxes in their place to keep the connections dry.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Yes, can sell them with a full system, and install new cams on new house. :headbang:
But most new house buyers have tight budget, can save some money always good.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Anything cheaper than Amcrest or cams from Walmart will be junk and a total scam...that you said you are trying to avoid....

Either sell what you have as part of the house or remove completely and not bother putting up cheap junk.

RUMBLESTRIP

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Anything cheaper than Amcrest or cams from Walmart will be junk and a total scam...that you said you are trying to avoid....

Either sell what you have as part of the house or remove completely and not bother putting up cheap junk.
Unfortunately, the cheap systems aren't a total scam as far as I know. Who knows, maybe I could get in on a class action later if they are? I guess it just seems like it would be a lot cheaper and easier to plug the holes with cameras than to actually patch holes in the walls. I'm actually trying to reduce problems in my life, not add more right now .

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, just get some kind of cap plugs to fill the holes if that's all that you're trying to do. Should be able to find something to fit a 3/4 or 1" or whatever hole size that will be just a few bucks vs cams. Or caulk or other filler. That's going to be less time, effort, and money than to get up there and reinstall cams. If you were promising some kind of working system (no matter how crappy) that might be different but you're not.