Semi new member introducting himself

Laurann

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm Lauran from the Netherlands.
I stumbled upon this forum via my brother that was reading a lot of the information and I thought why not join.
When trying to log in I already had an account made somewhere in 2016. So I had already found this forum quite a while ago.

I have a little POE camera network with 4 camera's and a NVR. That I can remotely view from an outbound IP-address. I already read on this forum that I did something wrong because it isn't secured and the ports are just forwarded to the internet.
The network is now offline and I'm trying to create a new network with a ASUS router that has to create a OpenVPN server.
But that's for a different topic.

Thanks in advance for all the information on this forum and hopefully the new insights and answers I get on my questions I still have on everything concerning Cam's, NVR's, software and networking.

Reaction score
Welcome, you will find the ASUS OpenVPN server pretty easy to setup in my experience. If you can be at the ASUS router, and have a device (like phone) with which to test you can quickly get through a little trial and error and have a working connection for when you cannot be there.

Good call removing the port forwarding, probably lucky if you hadn't yet been hacked! If your internet connection provides only a dynamic IP address (an address that changes) please also look into threads for DDNS (Dynamic DNS) as you will not want to lose connection every time your ISP decides to give you a different external IP address. Your ASUS router will provide support for that as well, it's basically a service your router can notify each time the IP Address changes so you can find it from anywhere using a network name.