Sentry alerts still sent for human detection in masked off part of zone

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This may be more of a Blue Iris thing than a Sentry thing but I thought I would post my "issue" here in case anyone else was seeing the same, or if someone can see if I am doing something wrong as far as my setup.

I have sent an email to Ken to see if he can assist.

What I believe to be happening is that motion is detected outside of my masked off area, which is normal. Well then said motion causes Sentry to see human activity inside of the masked off area. In this example the motion is a shadow (which I'm sure can be tweaked in the motion sensor settings), but the same happens when a car passes by in the street.

Here is what I believe to be the relevant settings.

MotionSensor.jpg
ZoneA.jpg
AlertTab.jpg

Ran the Alert clip through motion detector and you can see that motion was detected from the shadow, which again is fine.

motiondetector.jpg

And here is a screen capture of one of the images I got from the email alert from Sentry that said human activity was detected.
SentryHumanActiviatyEmailPicture.jpg

Since my Wife put up the Halloween decorations, motion anywhere in view causes me to get an email about human activity because the decorations are of course always there.

Moral of the story, damn you Halloween decorations! lol

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Wait 'till Christmas and Mr. and Mrs. Clause will create tumultuous times, LOL :lmao:

This may be more of a Blue Iris thing than a Sentry thing but I thought I would post my "issue" here in case anyone else was seeing the same, or if someone can see if I am doing something wrong as far as my setup.

I have sent an email to Ken to see if he can assist.

What I believe to be happening is that motion is detected outside of my masked off area, which is normal. Well then said motion causes Sentry to see human activity inside of the masked off area. In this example the motion is a shadow (which I'm sure can be tweaked in the motion sensor settings), but the same happens when a car passes by in the street.

Here is what I believe to be the relevant settings.

View attachment 49026
View attachment 49027
View attachment 49029

Ran the Alert clip through motion detector and you can see that motion was detected from the shadow, which again is fine.

View attachment 49030

And here is a screen capture of one of the images I got from the email alert from Sentry that said human activity was detected.
View attachment 49031

Since my Wife put up the Halloween decorations, motion anywhere in view causes me to get an email about human activity because the decorations are of course always there.

Moral of the story, damn you Halloween decorations! lol

integlikewhoa

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It would be nice if the frame that is sent to Sentry has the blacked out area blacked out. I have cameras that face the street but motion detection is only for when they enter the property, But like you with people walking down the street if a shadow triggers a motion on the property now Sentry can see the person on the street.

This is going to be way worse when they release car detection in BI.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think Sentry already has vehicle detection. I can't remember if you can get alerts on vehicle motion as that's something I would not want. I do get the people, vehicle and pet summary email daily though. Anyway, if you get a chance maybe you can email Ken with an example? I have already done so but it couldn't hurt.

integlikewhoa

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think Sentry already has vehicle detection. I can't remember if you can get alerts on vehicle motion as that's something I would not want. I do get the people, vehicle and pet summary email daily though. Anyway, if you get a chance maybe you can email Ken with an example? I have already done so but it couldn't hurt.
Vehicle detection (same with pet) in Blue Iris doesn't exist. It only shows a person. Vehicle and pet detection in email report from Sentry does exist but those emails at the end of the night are useless to me and clogging up my emails. I use Bi to get alerts of something happening in real time. Ken knows about it and sentry is always "we are working on it in future releases".

When pet detection does drop would be useful to have options on it. Example in BI (In BI is key here) would be nice to ignore pets in my back yard (as its normal) but send an alert if a pet is in the unfenced front yard, driveway or front porch (my dogs tend to go to the front door first if they get out of the back yard). Would be nice if different alert options were allowed in BI for Motion Detected in BI, Sentry People, Sentry Cars, Sentry Pets.

Reaction score
Interestingly, I have had a couple of dogs cross my front porch in the last few days and I was alerted making me think that pet detection is working, just not a granular option.

varghesesa

Sentry Rep.
Reaction score
It would be nice if the frame that is sent to Sentry has the blacked out area blacked out. I have cameras that face the street but motion detection is only for when they enter the property, But like you with people walking down the street if a shadow triggers a motion on the property now Sentry can see the person on the street.

This is going to be way worse when they release car detection in BI.
You guys astutely pointed out a hole in the current implementation. We enhanced our API to resolve this issue. We plan to get on BI's calendar to resolve this.

-- Sam from Sentry

varghesesa

Sentry Rep.
Reaction score
Vehicle detection (same with pet) in Blue Iris doesn't exist. It only shows a person. Vehicle and pet detection in email report from Sentry does exist but those emails at the end of the night are useless to me and clogging up my emails. I use Bi to get alerts of something happening in real time. Ken knows about it and sentry is always "we are working on it in future releases".

When pet detection does drop would be useful to have options on it. Example in BI (In BI is key here) would be nice to ignore pets in my back yard (as its normal) but send an alert if a pet is in the unfenced front yard, driveway or front porch (my dogs tend to go to the front door first if they get out of the back yard). Would be nice if different alert options were allowed in BI for Motion Detected in BI, Sentry People, Sentry Cars, Sentry Pets.
More is planned with BI. Our roadmap is consistent with this feedback. We will allow the ability to activate (pets, vehicles etc) on a per camera basis so you can activate for the front camera for pets to get the alerts that you want.

The summary reports are a beta feature to provide some value to the customers and get feedback on how well our AI was working. Some folks like the daily summaries so we will keep it as an option. We also plan to provide it in a new customer portal.

-- Sam from Sentry