Separate mini nvr for live view

Lance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I read that someone setup a mini nvr on the network with an HDMI to a monitor for live view. Is this easy to setup? And what features would I need to look for? Do any changes need to be made to the main nvr or cameras?

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I read that someone setup a mini nvr on the network with an HDMI to a monitor for live view. Is this easy to setup? And what features would I need to look for? Do any changes need to be made to the main nvr or cameras?[/Q nvr'sUOTE]

Hi Lance,
New to the form here but i will give this my best shot. I have setup multiple nvr's on the same network. Forgive me but your wording is a bit confusing to me. If you are looking to view existing ip cameras on your network, you can do it with a modern PC with a hdmi out to a monitor and say SmartPSS software. No need for another NVR. If you want to add a second NVR to manage a different group of cameras on a different subnet and the NVR has a hdmi out(MOST DO) that you could definitely view both NVR's with management software like smartPSS. With the prices of NVR's I suppose you could make the case it MIGHT be cheaper to have another mini NVR on your network just for viewing instead of buying a PC and that could be the case. Personally I would not. You would not have to make any changes to the cameras if you went with the second nvr other than logging on to them and configuring them to the second nvr. Hopes this helps. In TheroyI believe they will both exist fine on the same network if setup correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
i simply use android tv box and run tiny cam viewer on it.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks like a great setup for home use, thanks for sharing.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think you caught one of my posts, I have a SuperMini NVR (Google it, there ubiquitous) I picked up on the cheap for displaying on my main TV.. All my IPC's are ONVIF complaint so with a mouse plugged in, it auto-detected all of of my cameras.. a few of my 3MP cameras are greater than 1080p so it did not display the main feed, but it would display the subfeed just fine.. and in a grid it'll only show subfeeds.

Once all the cameras were displayed in the order I wanted them I simply rebooted it to see if itd come back up without intervention, which it did.. so I unplugged the mouse and took it to the living room, plugged it in and let it run.

Worked fine for that really, but now I am retiring it and going to a RaspberryPI based viewer because I like being able to hack on it and use custom grid layouts.. and it was just a tiny bit more.

I used TinyCamPro on an Android Box and the only nice thing was jamming music while viewing the camera streams.. Frame rate sucked ass, nothing like my silky smooth displays I am used to.. with Android App on Halloween; my party guests could hardly see trick-or-treaters costumes cause kids run around so fast.

Lance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yea I tried to pm ya about your setup. I really just want to plug a box into the network and run an HDMI to my tv so I can see what the dog is barking at without getting up lol. What is the android thing you are using? Maybe someday there will be a Roku app that I can see my feeds on.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am using a Google Nexus Player for my Android Box

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@nayr do you have a system image of what you used for your raspberry pi box. I have the first version of Raspberry PI but suck at linux. Do you have to stream the rtsp streams?

Last edited by a moderator: