Server Based NVR? 12 3MP streams, 20TB hardware RAID6 Server

jbrukardt

n3wb
Reaction score
Good evening all,

Im just getting into home security, but have a pretty strong computing backend system in my home. It formerly served as a fileserver.

Here's the setup:

6 hikvision 1080P bullets
http://www.amazon.com/HIKVISION-DS-2CD2032-I-Outdoor-Bullet-Network/dp/B00HEHBG8M

4 PTZ 1080P Zyzel cams
http://www.amazon.com/ZyXEL-Wireless-Camera-Vision-IPC4605N/dp/B0071N5I3I

Mikrotik 2011 routerboard running the network
http://www.amazon.com/MikroTik-RB2011UiAS-RM-Routerboard-Rackmount-5xGbit/dp/B00DYWE2Z0

Avaya 5520 24 port POE switch switching and providing POE
https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Avaya-ERS-5520-48T-PWR-Stackable-Power-over-Ethernet-Switch-RoHS/1063948.aspx

Homebuilt Server which I would like to do all NVR activities

4U rackmount
Areca 1680ML 24 port RAID card
24 1TB WD green HDs running RAID6 on the areca
Nvidia Geforce 460 (or 8800, I have options here) video card
Intel E6600 dual-core processor

Software:

Running windows 7, but can run whatever is needed
Have a blueiris license, but open to other NVR softwares as well.

Im worried the server will be too weak to the manage the NVR, solely based on the older dual-core CPU. But i have a lot of auxiliary processing power, the hardware raid card takes all the disk usage off the CPU, handling that processing 100% on card. And im not sure if any CCTV software uses GPU acceleration yet? If it doesnt it looksl ike the 460 supports CUDA 2.1

Thoughts?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
So first let me say that I am too much of a newbie to answer your question. But my background is contact center infrastructure and application development, and I am very jealous of your beefcake Avaya switch -nice find.

In terms of Application Solutions, you may want to consider looking at Milestone X-protect; while not the cheapest for licensing, it is very robust and expandable, and offers a client/server architecture that you may like, given your background.

Happy Holidays,
Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

jbrukardt

n3wb
Reaction score
So first let me say that I am too much of a newbie to answer your question. But my background is contact center infrastructure and application development, and I am very jealous of your beefcake Avaya switch -nice find.

In terms of Application Solutions, you may want to consider looking at Milestone X-protect; while not the cheapest for licensing, it is very robust and expandable, and offers a client/server architecture that you may like, given your background.

Happy Holidays,
Chris

Thanks man, yeah, its a sweet switch. When nortel went under they were selling them off in a fire sale for 100 bucks a piece (5k switch). Im very impressed with avaya though, despite the switch being old, its a powerhouse and they kept it updated with the latest OS and ERS. I spend a day or so updating it to the latest OS from November 2015 a couple weeks back. Went seamlessly, and brought the interfaces up to modern standards. Its a beast of a switch.

I had looked at milestone x-protect, it certainly has way way lower CPU usage, and seemingly better features, but the pricing model is tough for me to justify for home use. Ill look at it again.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
...Im worried the server will be too weak to the manage the NVR, solely based on the older dual-core CPU. But i have a lot of auxiliary processing power, the hardware raid card takes all the disk usage off the CPU, handling that processing 100% on card. And im not sure if any CCTV software uses GPU acceleration yet?...
Hi Mr. Burkhardt and welcome! @fenderman knows all about cpuage than I...but as I see it your Intel Pentium E6600 @ 3.06GHz benchmarks at 1,895 which, as you already mentioned is very low. Most of us here at ipct.com run Blue Iris nvr software which is quite a terrific piece of work...with an extremely reasonable price. But Blue Iris is a processor hog which will bring that CPU to it's knees with ten 1080P cameras. You may want to investigate the Blue Iris free trial and -- if you like the software -- you may want to pony up for an i7 desktop which can be had for $500.00 (from Dell and @fenderman will tell you where to find them if you don't already know). As you know you will save money on the i7 power usage, and one of those i7 units will easily handle the cameras you need to run...and also leave you room for future expansion in the event you develop a case of Ipcamophrenia. It's apparent that you've forgotten more about IT that I'll ever know...but I do know software and I will attest to Blue Iris being very good software whose only apparent flaw is it's processing requirements. Cheers! :)