server rack or similar.

Coal_Cracker

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm in need of some sort of server rack or some sort of similar idea. Right now I have a tanker desk and two drawer file cabinet on the left with a shelf on top of the cabinet and a stack of amps pre amps and computer gear. The space is 24" w x 42" d x 30"h. It's all pretty organized but I have a bunch more stuff to bring up from the basement that's been sitting under the stairs for almost three years now. I just want to keep everything looking organized and professional not just a stack of electronics with wires everywhere which is a pet peeve of mine . Maybe throw a little ambient lighting in there as well.

Reaction score
This is my rack. There are many ways you can go. Freestanding or wall attached. Mine is wall attached.

InkedDSC_4802.jpg

IMG_1555.JPG

Info:
DSC_4733.JPG

DSC_4748.JPG

That shelf unit was already there with the two UPS, a NAS, and the modem. If I had it to do over, I would have gotten rack mountable UPS, and placed the modem and NAS on a rack shelf. Luckily the switches I had bought were rack mountable.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I added a piece of 3/4 x 12 poplar, stained and finished, to span three bays of studs on the wall behind my desk. Then I used some heavy, braced, shelf brackets and added a shelf. From that shelf a set of 8U rack rails projects down and they hold all the network gear, other than the router which is on a top shelf for WiFi purposes. All cables are labeled and managed neatly, at least as neatly as I can manage. Two 16 port PoE switches and a rack mounted shelf for VoIP gear and the MoCA adapter.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm in need of some sort of server rack or some sort of similar idea. Right now I have a tanker desk and two drawer file cabinet on the left with a shelf on top of the cabinet and a stack of amps pre amps and computer gear. The space is 24" w x 42" d x 30"h. It's all pretty organized but I have a bunch more stuff to bring up from the basement that's been sitting under the stairs for almost three years now. I just want to keep everything looking organized and professional not just a stack of electronics with wires everywhere which is a pet peeve of mine . Maybe throw a little ambient lighting in there as well.
Where are you located?
Anywhere close to the center of the US?
I might have something you could use.

Coal_Cracker

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think my dumb ass was in a hurry Friday morning and threw out my rack mounts for my TP link though. I believe I left them in the box and put out for trash.

Coal_Cracker

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That's the path of least resistance and keeps everything centralized, assuming you want everything centralized.
Yes. That is how I have the area built out, basically an L shape. Desk and monitors in front of me and all the gear is on my left of the desk.

Jim I.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just finished installing a 9U wall mount Navepoint rack. I also spanned three wall studs with a plywood backerboard. IMG_1265.jpg

Coal_Cracker

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I found this last night. Unfortunately they just listed it earlier in the day. Im not sure how much negotiating power I’m gonna have since it’s fresh on the market. It has APC G5blk power filters and a Dlink des 1024d. I don’t really have any interest in the filters or switch but it has a bunch of shelves which aren’t cheap. They are asking $500. Nowhere close to what I want to spend. I’m gonna see if they’ll sell without the switch and filters.
Prices are all over for these. From free to hundreds of dollars. I’m not sure what a great price would be.

Attachments

Coal_Cracker

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I wound up with these two racks last night. I paid $300 for them. They came with 4 power strips two 20 amp two 15 amp. Also came with four pull drawers three shelves and a pile of blanks and vents. Oh yea and the swivel arm to mount a monitor.

Attachments