Setting 2 types of motion detection in 1 camera?

silencery

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked and covered before. I couldn't quite find the answer, so any suggestions are appreciated.

I'd like to set some cameras in BI to have different levels of motion detection.

For example, for one camera, I would like to have one type of detection which is more sensitive, and passively record low levels of activity (i.e. passing cars, small animals, etc) and another type specifically for detecting the presence of people (i.e. someone walking up the driveway). The second one will be used to send home automation alerts.

I know one way is to create two streams from the same camera, but is this the best method? Is there a better way of accomplishing this?

Related question: If i create two streams, would that increase the CPU resources consumed by BI? I assume it would be doubled, is that right?

Thanks!

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You can clone the camera in BI (duplicate it). Both BI cameras will use the same stream from the same camera and use almost no additional CPU cycles as a single BI camera. Each can have their own complete set of settings. I have 12 cameras and all are cloned and setup similar to what you want.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Yep clone the cams, I have 3 of mine clones, so the clone records on all movement and the main cam records only when it detects motion in a zone.